Supervisors

---

I have to do 20 hours of CAS. I figured that I could write something at home for creativity or I could go to a swimming pool for action. My question is - how can I get supervisor for this? How is anyone supposed to know that I spent exactly seven hours on action? Isn't it enough evidence that I just bring my work and show it to my teacher or a receipt from swimming pool?

write something at home for creativity

get somebody to read and mark it maybe? what about getting your lit teacher to supervise you? he could even probably give you some extra marks for your report card or something (maybe). and he can give evaluations.

however, I personally think that this activity itself is not a really good one. unless you can make it into a more meaningful one, like by joining some writing competitions?

swimming for action

I'd suggest you to join the swimming extra curricular in your school (if there is one)

otherwise, if you go to a public swimming pool, try to get a teacher or if your uncle or any relatives can swim, ask them to teach you swim (even though you already can :console:) as well as supervising you.

Do you know a swimming coach or something along those lines?

Not really. Besides, when my classmate approached some swimming coach and asked him to sign a paper that he's going to supervise him, he refused and said that he doesn't understand English. To be honest I prefer basketball but I would probably need to join some team.

get somebody to read and mark it maybe? what about getting your lit teacher to supervise you? he could even probably give you some extra marks for your report card or something (maybe). and he can give evaluations.

I don't have a lit teacher yet, I am in a pre-IB class but asking some random teacher is probably my best choice. I really can't come up with anything better. I don't have much free time so I can't go learn some language, I am not really good at working with people which I am already forced to do thanks to service. I generally consider CAS bad idea and writing is the only creative thing I'd enjoy but I am willing to take anything that works and doesn't take much time. I would try to make it more meaningful by taking a photo of some place that's important to me and writing a story about this. As for writing competitions, I haven't heard of any.

And still: how does anyone know how much time I spend on this writing?

you count the hours lar! lol. I usually note what time I start the activity and what time I finish it, so it would be very accurate. but I think CAS coordinators would not really expect that, so just make an approximation.

I would suggest you taking extra curricular activities. I am currently taking 3:

dance - action

choir - creativity

drama - creativity

my school gives us a one-period CAS Sport (compulsory) and we can choose any of the 4 sports offered (and I am choosing tennis for my action)

planning and organising events would also count for creativity

If you go to a public pool maybe ask one of the pool admin/lifeguards to sign your forms for you (be sure to let them know before you start swimming though). If you write at home...then I don't know who could supervise you (unless your IB coordinator is super lenient and lets your parents sign off for you!) Alternatively you could publish your written work in a school/local newspaper or magazine. Then your work will have some useful contribution to others, so you may be allowed to just estimate how many hours you've spent writing and have the president/editor-in-chief/whoever's in charge sign it. I agree with Fizzy Dee's suggestion of entering your work into a competition as well.

That being said, your IB coordinator is ultimately the one who decides if it can count or not, so check with them too!

Dancing and acting is really not my cup of tea. But I will see if I can sign for some sport at school. Thanks for help.

The point of CAS is to get you out of your regular zone/circle/atmosphere. Perhaps it would be easier to join a sport than running and trying to find a person willing to sign off your insecure amount of hours for such an important situation. And perhaps you will find enjoyment in it. I volunteered for a theatre as a stage hand out of sheer desperation for hours and ended up loving it. Now I'm planning the next few shows! I don't even have to act, so backstage hand, sound and/or lights, and costume design could all be options for you as well. I don't mean to sound rude, but I know people in my school who complain religiously about the amount of activities they hate but do just because they need hours. Do something you're interested in, and even if you're not, do it anyway!