Any specific REAL math problems you need help with?

ezex

Another question :D

The value of x which satisfies the equation (32x-1)(43x+1) = 6x+3 can be written in the form x = ln a / ln b

Find a+b

I don't see how to solve the question since I can't change the 3 and 4 and 6 to the same base. All I could come up with is x = ln (a-b). Any help is appreciated. =)

Here's the solution:

niksolution.jpg

I just took the logarithm of both sides and then just applied the rules of logarithm to everything :)

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Draw the graph of g(x)=x²-x-6 for 0</=w</x6 and state the range. Could I have some help with this please. There is no need to plot the graph but could someone help me understand the figures in the range. I realise that it's a quadratic graph and tried to get an answer got the y intercept but I don't understand the figures that need to be stated in the range. I can give the books answers if ou need them.

Edit: I'm getting it the more I go into it and come back to that question, but in practice it will be hard to remember how to reproduce it.

Edited by Bishup

Draw the graph of g(x)=x²-x-6 for 0</=w</x6 and state the range. Could I have some help with this please. There is no need to plot the graph but could someone help me understand the figures in the range. I realise that it's a quadratic graph and tried to get an answer got the y intercept but I don't understand the figures that need to be stated in the range. I can give the books answers if ou need them.

Edit: I'm getting it the more I go into it and come back to that question, but in practice it will be hard to remember how to reproduce it.

I don't quite understand your limits (what's w?) however when I graph the equation I get this:

post-99-125408678312_thumb.jpg

Now, it has been more than a year since doing any Maths but from what I understand the range should be y>-6 or [-6,∞]

And if the limits of the y curve are 0 to 6, then that's what the range should be too ([0,6]). Lastly if the domain of x if from 0 to 6, then the range would be y>0 or [0,∞]

Would someone be able to help me with how to find C in the general trig transformations formula

y = A sin B(x-C)+D

I can work out A, B and D. But I am completely lost when it comes to getting C using some info.

You could explain with the following question/data.

1. Below is a table which shows the mean monthly maximum temperature (oc) for a city in Greece.

Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun July Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec

Temp 15 14 15 18 21 25 27 26 24 20 18 16

FIND GOOD ESTIMATES OF THE CONSTANTS A, B, C & D FOR T=A sin B(t-C)+D

C defines the x-coordinate of where the sine curve has its maxima and mimima, or to be more precise, the curve's 'position' x-axis-wise. For example if you have y = sin(x-0) (i.e. y = sin(x)), you will find a maximum at π/2, 3π/2 etc. If the curve has another variable C, say y = sin(x-1) you will notice that the curve will have its maxima at 1+(π/2), 1+(3π/2) etc. In other words the curve will 'move to the right' by 1. If it's sin(x-2) it will move to the right by 2 and if it's sin(x+5) it will move to the left by 5.

Does this clarify it for you? Your question looks a bit like something that could be on an IA so I won't give you a straight answer to it.

• Like 1