Are smart people more introverted than their less intelligent counterparts?

I don't think so! You don't have to be either closed or outgoing to...

Be analytical to a situation

Look at things from different perspectives

Come to logical solutions

Have good study habits

etc. etc.

I just think it looks more obvious that introverts seem like they are always in deep thinking.

Depends on what you mean by "smart".

However, assuming that "smart" can be easily defined by the grades you get, then I guess that smart people aren't generally more introverted due to their smarts.

A person gets good grades BECAUSE they're introverted, they dont become introverted BECAUSE they get good grades.

Of course theres really no real way to answer this because it depends on why they're introverted, and what kind of "smart" they are.

It's definitely possible for an introvert to be an introvert due to intelligence, but this is usually because, as stated somewhere on the first page, intelligence can become a hindrance after a while.

So, short answer, no.

If by smart you mean intelligent there's actually research by an old psychologist I remembered when reading this. Basically introverts have more cortical activity than extroverts as a baseline, now whether you consider increased cortical activity as more intelligent is another story. I'm an introvert and I'm damn clever :P seriously though two of the other smartest people I know I would also consider introverts. Anybody up for doing a little study where you do an IQ test and then a short personality questionnaire, then we can look at any correlations that may exist.

http://introvertretreat.com/128/introversion-and-the-brain/

• Like 1

If by smart you mean intelligent there's actually research by an old psychologist I remembered when reading this. Basically introverts have more cortical activity than extroverts as a baseline, now whether you consider increased cortical activity as more intelligent is another story. I'm an introvert and I'm damn clever :P seriously though two of the other smartest people I know I would also consider introverts. Anybody up for doing a little study where you do an IQ test and then a short personality questionnaire, then we can look at any correlations that may exist.

http://introvertretr...-and-the-brain/

Interesting post, personally speaking I'm VERY uncertain on the definition of an intellectual, and I'm not sure if I believe in the concept of measuring it through physical means (i.e. measuring cortical activity).

However, I'm very curious to find out whether people who SEEM unintelligent, yet introverted, have high levels of cortical activity. Are there any studies relating this that don't involve doing an IQ test?

Interesting post, personally speaking I'm VERY uncertain on the definition of an intellectual, and I'm not sure if I believe in the concept of measuring it through physical means (i.e. measuring cortical activity).

However, I'm very curious to find out whether people who SEEM unintelligent, yet introverted, have high levels of cortical activity. Are there any studies relating this that don't involve doing an IQ test?

Unfortunately I don't know of any research like that, the idea is very old but we also did at uni my freshman year so it must have some credibility. Remember the link is just between introversion and increased cortical activity not intelligence (I made that link cause I'm biased :)). You are wanting to know if people who sound stupid or say unintelligent things still have increased cortical activity, right? Unfortunately, I don't know, maybe send the people you are thinking of into an fMRI scanner and compare them with introverts who seem intelligent. I really wish I had an fMRI machine!