Physics

Dola*

Ok so im about to start physics SL. And i just need to know from anyone, is it really hard. Because i did chemistry and i had a hard time with that subject, like do the two subjects have anything in common? If so i need to change to bio. SO yeah i just need some opinons, and i want to be a lawyer so do i really need physcis? Thank you for replies!

Edited by sweetnsimple786
Please don't use textspeak. Just type out the words :)

My teacher was horrid, and rarely taught. All he was good for was not getting moderated at all. Still, the lack of teaching severely affected my experience. I did well but only because I taught myself everything-so if you have a bad teacher who just sits around all the time, it may be a problem. The content is not hard if you are decent at math. It is similar to chem in that it is much more abstract and mathematically based, yet I think it is easier.

If you are on track to becoming a lawyer, however, bio may be somewhat more useful.

I did Biology HL, Chemistry HL, and AP Physics B, and my experience with the subjects was that Physics has some concepts that also show up in Chemistry, and Chemistry has some topics that are also in Biology, but neither is particularly similar to either of the others. Although I had the hardest time with Physics (I somehow managed a 5, however) I believe that Chemistry is the subject that is genuinely the most difficult, but also the most interesting and engaging. For me, Physics and Biology were absolute bores, each for entirely different reasons; Physics because I had a hard time picturing anything more abstract that simple mechanics, and Biology because it all seems very random and as though there is no reason to learn it, and it was also rather easy.

So... If you had a hard time with Chemistry, you might have a hard time with Physics, because there is a fair amount of overlap. (at least there was between AP Physics B and IB Chemistry HL; half the time, it felt like what I was doing in Physics was just review of Chemistry) If I were in your situation, I would do Biology. Probably at SL, because for law you certainly won't need HL, and SL is far easier in terms of how much detail you need to know.

• Like 1

Ok so im about to start physics SL. And i just need 2 know from any1, is it really hard. Becaz i did chemistry and i had a hard time with that subject, like do the two subjects have anything in common? If so i need 2 change to bio. SO yeah i just need some opinons, and i want to be a lawyer so do i really need physcis? Thank you for replies!

Thanj you for the repliess :blum: Yeahhh i really hated chemm, so i think i might choose bio. But the think is my physis teacher was my math teacher last year, in geo. And i got a 98 so shes really good so its a bit confusing you know

Edited by sweetnsimple786
No textspeak.

We talked about thermochemistry in physics, so that was similar to an extent, but content wise, it doesn't overlap much.

I think physics was hard, but it was manageable, and some of the concepts that we were asked to understand, not memorize, help you get a better understanding of our world. For some people, it was intuitive. Not so much for me, but struggling with vectors and understanding graphs of position, velocity, and acceleration helped me in math. I finally understood different concepts because I saw them from different perspectives in different subjects. Anyways, physics SL isn't impossible for the average student. There is a lot of theory behind the formulas, and you'd be wise not to ignore all of it. Follow the objectives, and do your lab reports studiously. When time comes closer, start doing past papers. Ask your teacher questions if you don't understand something, even if the rest of your class does. In physics, you don't learn something and then push it away for the rest of the year. Most things are interconnected, and not getting one concept can lead to not understanding another one. Good luck!

We talked about thermochemistry in physics, so that was similar to an extent, but content wise, it doesn't overlap much.

I think physics was hard, but it was manageable, and some of the concepts that we were asked to understand, not memorize, help you get a better understanding of our world. For some people, it was intuitive. Not so much for me, but struggling with vectors and understanding graphs of position, velocity, and acceleration helped me in math. I finally understood different concepts because I saw them from different perspectives in different subjects. Anyways, physics SL isn't impossible for the average student. There is a lot of theory behind the formulas, and you'd be wise not to ignore all of it. Follow the objectives, and do your lab reports studiously. When time comes closer, start doing past papers. Ask your teacher questions if you don't understand something, even if the rest of your class does. In physics, you don't learn something and then push it away for the rest of the year. Most things are interconnected, and not getting one concept can lead to not understanding another one. Good luck!

Thanks sweetnsimple for two things. Editing my comment because i was in a rush, and for the great advice. You seem to knw alot about this, i want to be a lawyer. If you were me what woudl you choose Bio or physcis? Thanks

That's really hard for me to say!

I loved biology! [i did HL] and I love physics [outside of IB--I want to study it in college].

I kind of think that having a foundation in physics is underrated. I think everyone should understand the basics of physics because we're alive, and understanding certain principles can help us in our day to day lives. But if you're not going to appreciate it, then it gets wasted.

With biology, there's a lot of fascinating things, and if you haven't taken a course in it yet, there's a lot you're missing but don't realize it.

One of the things that biology helped me with was Latin roots, which I know would be invaluable as a student studying law. My teacher explained the root words when we were learning terms and processes, so the emphasis my teacher put on them helped, not necessarily the course itself.

If I were choosing between biology and physics, while trying to get into law school, I would pick Biology SL because I think it's less time intensive. For physics, a lot of people don't intuitively understand the material and relationships [myself included]. With biology, there's more memorization, and for me, I just paid attention in class and crammed before tests. Physics was hard to cram for [i'm not saying I didn't cram... just that grades were worse when I did]. Since you'll want the best scores you can get, I suggest taking the class you'll have an easier time with because it doesn't really matter if you take physics or biology if you want to be a lawyer. I still think both courses have a lot to offer, and you figure out how strong their influences are in TOK when you make analogies and connections using the subjects you study. Anyways, talk to Bio SL students and Physics SL students at your school to figure out what they think of their respective teachers. If one teacher seems to be terrible, take the other class!

When I started physics SL, I hated it fervently! It was boring, difficult and just overwhelming with all weird concepts I had to learn. However, after half a year or so I'd learned most of it and scored a 7 on our last test. By then I had understood how it works and how it all fits together. The next year, the topics were easier, I think and so did most of my classmates.

I don't think it's that similar to chemistry. Some of the quantum physics resembles the atom structure topic in chemistry, and some entropy and enthalpy. But otherwise, chemistry deals with other areas. I believe that biology is easier to learn if you're not the maths/physics kind of person, since most of it is pure memorizing, I'm told. If you're applying to law school, I can't imagine them caring about what science you did so do what feels easiest.

When I started physics SL, I hated it fervently! It was boring, difficult and just overwhelming with all weird concepts I had to learn. However, after half a year or so I'd learned most of it and scored a 7 on our last test. By then I had understood how it works and how it all fits together. The next year, the topics were easier, I think and so did most of my classmates.

I don't think it's that similar to chemistry. Some of the quantum physics resembles the atom structure topic in chemistry, and some entropy and enthalpy. But otherwise, chemistry deals with other areas. I believe that biology is easier to learn if you're not the maths/physics kind of person, since most of it is pure memorizing, I'm told. If you're applying to law school, I can't imagine them caring about what science you did so do what feels easiest.

Yeahh i agree with you tilia, mmm im doing History and English and for HL and those are really imprtant to me, i think im going to change, Because id rather memorize bio, than have to really put alot of effort in a topic that i won't even need you knw.

I just finished up the first part of Physics IB and am still deciding whether or not to go into HL or SL.

Like most other people who didn't find the course easy and a had a very tough time, my teacher was a total dud. She didn't teach at all, and she expected you to ask all the questions (which is good to some level), but the teachers duty is to enhance our learning experience.

Ask other students in your school if the teacher is good or not, someone will give you some good advice, remember most people are like you, too. Almost no one goes into Physics IB and plans on loving it.

Eventually, it all comes down to your confidence. If you believe that you can do it, go for it; if you're a bit nervous, you need to decide whether or not you are committed enough to do the work necessary to understand the course. Hard work solves everything.

And as for Chemistry, no, the courses are only related in some minor parts. For example, if you remember the concept of molar masses, you should be fine, but the Physics teacher will teach you that as well.

For me, it was a no-brainer; physics was far more interesting than Bio, but that comes down to you.

Hope this helps!

Almost no one goes into Physics IB and plans on loving it.

thats wrong

i chose physics and i LOVE it its is so awesome but you do need a good teacher to enjoy it

I do not completely agree, but I did choose physics because I love it. My teacher was bad, so it became hard to enjoy it, but ultimately I still had fun and learned a lot. Even with a scheduling error (I had to test out after one year in the class as opposed to two) I still had fun learning everything in the short amount of time...

However, revision, with a textbook, and long periods of thought are necessary to do well.

• 2 weeks later...

hii I am also starting Physics this academic year, but I'm taking Physics HL, and Chemsitry HL as well. As far as I've seen (from the syllabus, the explenations from my teachers, older student's advice) Physics SL is very doable. Especially you're considering taking Physics, you must have some interest in Physics, no? Physics HL is a pain in the bum haha, and Chemsitry and Physics dont' really have anything in common, apart from the significant amount of maths being used.

hope you manage to choose your subjects!

• 6 months later...

i have both Physics HL and chemistry SL

i would strongly recommend you to choose physics SL, it is soo much easier when it comes to calculations and what you need to know. i am the only one in my class that has physics HL so i have classes alone with my teacher and still its hard to grasp.

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak =)

I think that HL Physics, although challenging is do-able, and I find it quite fun. I do HL Chmistry and Physics. In my HL class, there's two of us and SL class, five of us (one person replaced Physics with ESS: environmental studies, or something stupid like that, as they believe that they're going to get an easy 7 with that subject as opposed to Physics). Just goes to show how most people find Physics quite tough, and demanding as a subject. So,in a nutshell, if you think you can do it...do it.

Edited by nametaken