How to Prepare For IB?

JacobSewell

Right now I'm in the middle of my summer break, and I've been doing a lot of relaxing. My first year of IB starts at the end of August, and I want to start preparing in anyway that I can. Any suggestions? I'm planning on taking:

HL Math

HL English (A1)

HL Psychology

SL Spanish (A2)

Environmental Systems

think of topics for an extended essay already

I'd say that it's very hard to think of topics before one has started and got a sense of what the different subjects are like. But you can always read some maths or something. But I advice just to relax so you're fresh and relaxed when you start. You don't have to stress already now.

See if you can start your CAS hours. At my school, we're allowed to start them the summer before IB1, but I'm guessing your activity would need to be approved first.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm in summer school right now, and when that's over at the end of July, I'll be volunteering for a week at a pool. Then I have nothing to do pretty much, except swim, hang out with friends/family, and relax. :(

• Like 1

I'm taking college community classes before I go into IB to make sure I get some credit for college, but it's probably too late for you to sign up for any summer courses. I'm also volunteering, trying to get a strong dent in my CAS hours.

Otherwise, I'm just studying for SAT, ACT, SAT II's, and briefing looking over the AP syllabuses. Since you attend school in the U.S. and are entering IB1, I'd assume you're be taking the SAT or ACT sometime this year, so you might want to study for that while you have time.

I wouldn't worry too much about prepping for IB before you get there. I think it might just get you worried and worked up. Just try and think of it like a regular high school diploma program - most students would not worry about preparing for the eleventh grade.

Though I agree with the above posters, if you can start by getting into a sport or a volunteer activity or something creative, that might be something because even if you can't count the time spent in the summer for CAS hours, you can at least see if certain activities are worth pursuing during the school year.

You're going to be working hard over the next couple years, so I say enjoy your freedom!

And good luck to you in IB :(

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about prepping for IB before you get there. I think it might just get you worried and worked up. Just try and think of it like a regular high school diploma program - most students would not worry about preparing for the eleventh grade.

Though I agree with the above posters, if you can start by getting into a sport or a volunteer activity or something creative, that might be something because even if you can't count the time spent in the summer for CAS hours, you can at least see if certain activities are worth pursuing during the school year.

You're going to be working hard over the next couple years, so I say enjoy your freedom!

And good luck to you in IB :(

Yeah, I can't start counting CAS Points until the first day of school :/. But, do you have any suggestions for places that I could look into for volunteering? Also, how do you guys recommend that I study for the SAT/ACT? Just do practice tests?

Yeah, I can't start counting CAS Points until the first day of school :/. But, do you have any suggestions for places that I could look into for volunteering? Also, how do you guys recommend that I study for the SAT/ACT? Just do practice tests?

I knew a few people who were in the IB before me, and they told me where they did their service hours, which is a nice way to get suggestions that can apply to your specific location. Several people in my class help out at different seniors homes. If you are involved in a particular sport (which is good for action hours as well), you might be able to help teach or coach that sport. Habitat for Humanity is good too. There should be a place where you can find listings for local volunteer opportunities, either in the local newspaper or library. It wouldn't hurt to ask the IB coordinator what other people have done.

Also, don't forget that there are the creativity and action components. If you don't feel like finding a volunteer position just yet, you could find a sport or club or something and try that out. It was hard for me to try out new things in the year, so the summer was always a good time to try and find a new interest or learn about an organization.

Edited by Sonneteer_Trombonist

If you are going to do your EE on a subject that isn't a science or Maths you could probably start thinking of your topic (for those subjects unless you are very good it might be harder because you need some base on more advanced topics before this), and if you don't know which subject you're taking your EE on think of it. For example if you have a special genre in English, a specific topic in Psychology, etcetc, that you're interested in think about a possible EE topic simply because the topic deadline comes surprisingly quickly when you have so much to do during termtime.

A great thing (the most useful, in my opinion) to do is reading a few of your A1 books if you know which ones you need and which ones you're going to study first when you start IB. This will easily save you 20 hours of time for relaxation or schoolwork and you will seriously thank yourself for it later!

Other than that relax, maybe get some of your books and browse through them... I didn't do much (other than those 2 things) and didn't have any trouble later.

You could, start gatheering the different Literature terms that are involved in the Englih A1 course for IB. This would help, as you would be able to use these terms once you start class, and thus you gain higher marks for your essays. Also, you could look towards buying extra books for IB, such as those published by the Oxford Press (IB Course Companions), as this may help you.