LSE Government

ephika

Hi.

I am interested in studying Government at LSE. I graduated from IB in May 2010 and I received a total of 38 points with 766 at HL (LSE requires 37 points with 666 at HL). However, I had a few "easy" subjects like Math Studies (got a 6 in it), but I hope this won't be a problem since I've heard about other people being accepted to LSE with Math Studies (obviously then to the non-math related courses).

I am applying for courses starting in September 2011. What are my chances of getting in? I am planning to study two courses in political science at Stockholm University before this. Could that be a good merit? Then I will have an IB diploma of 38 points with 766 at HL, as well as the Political Science I and II courses from Stockholm University.

Also, I wonder about tuition fees at this school? They're pretty high, aren't they? :blink:

Edited by ephika

For non-Maths related courses, studies is fine.

Tuition fees depend on several factors. Firstly the new government and their evil schemes for a graduate tax... but more importantly, perhaps, your own status. If you are from within the EU you can expect fees to be pretty low (£3,225 was the max. fee per year for last year, it's a bit higher this year). If you're from outside the EU and also outside the Commonwealth, you can expect them to be higher. It's very easy to find the numbers if you just look at LSE's website.

Your chances seem reasonable, assuming you're above the minimum requirements. It's important to note that anything you've studied previously at Stockholm will count in your favour only insofar as it shows dedication to the subject. The fact you've done courses before won't let you off having to repeat them, or give you any 'credit' somehow. So the big way to use these is in your personal statement to show a passion for and dedication to the subject :blink:

What are your HL subjects? I personally think the more related to social sciences, the more chance you have (like English A1, History, etc). Also some previous uni credits can boost your chance!

But please bear in mind 37 IB points are the minimum requirement and I somehow find the admission process unpredictable. I applied for a course that has 7-10 intakes per year with same entry requirement as BSc Government, got positive feedback for my PS and was predicted 44. They made me wait until the very last day of the admission process (end of March) for a rejection! :blink:

What are your HL subjects? I personally think the more related to social sciences, the more chance you have (like English A1, History, etc). Also some previous uni credits can boost your chance!

I took...

HL History of the Americas (6)

HL Swedish A1 (6)

HL English B (7)

Yes, English B is a pretty weak subject but at least I got a 7 in it.

I took...

HL History of the Americas (6)

HL Swedish A1 (6)

HL English B (7)

Yes, English B is a pretty weak subject but at least I got a 7 in it.

Mother tongue and History are good subjects, and don't worry about English B. Actually obtaining a 7 in Eng B HL is quite an achievement, I know it's very hard. But I suggest you not to narrow your choice to LSE. Trust me, I've seen many Oxbridge students experiencing LSE rejections~

It is true that people prefer people with IB score right above the minimum requirement to those with high 'expected' grades. They do realize that sometimes high expected grades in IB does not mean anything. However, why don't you take some more maths course? Having economics nature, LSE likes people with at least Maths SL more, preferably Maths HL. So keep that in mind.

It is true that people prefer people with IB score right above the minimum requirement to those with high 'expected' grades. They do realize that sometimes high expected grades in IB does not mean anything. However, why don't you take some more maths course? Having economics nature, LSE likes people with at least Maths SL more, preferably Maths HL. So keep that in mind.

I don't think this course has anything to do with Economics though, does it?

I don't think this course has anything to do with Economics though, does it?

well, it isn't. But LSE, according to my friends who applied for it for entry 2010, LSE tends to see Maths not only as in the ability of dealing with numbers, but also the ability of dealing and solving problem apparently. The friend actually applied for the same course and got into it (even though I am sure he choose Durham instead of LSE), so based on that fact, I believe his statement isn't totally irrelevant. :gluck: