Conditional Offer from University

TNT

I've got a conditional offer from the university I want to get into but I didn't fulfil their requirements. They wanted 36 points total (including bonus points) and all subjects to get at least a 5. My results are as below, do you think that I stand a chance if I called them and basically begged them to change their conditions. Do you think admission tutors may change their minds depending on the passion and desire I show?

Maths HL 4

Biology HL 5

Chemistry HL 5

English A1 SL 6

Mandarin HL 6

Business and Managament SL 7

TOK C

EE B

points = 1

Total = 34

Well, really, the only way to find out is to ring them up and ask them. Nobody can tell you you'll definitely manage to pull it off, as clearly you've missed the only scenario of certainty by not meeting their conditions, so at this point it's all luck! Just have to cross your fingers that, without you, they'd otherwise run short of candidates for the course. Passion and desire on your part might come in handy, but at this point it's much more likely to be a matter of them calculating their number of places. Many courses will award slightly more places than they actually have, as they reckon at least X number of people won't meet the requirements. Based on how many spaces they end up with, they may be able to offer you a place anyway, or they might not be -- at this point in time, it's not necessarily anything to do with you as much as basic logistics!

If the University you're talking about is in the UK, my guess is that they won't be able to tell you anything until the A Level results are released later on in the year and they know how many places they have (or don't have) after that. Otherwise it'd effectively prioritise IB candidates, and the system would be unfair.

ah. thank you! I am touched :P

To add more, some universities accept the letter (in a form of another recommendation) which explains why they have to accept you despite of your score. For example, last year my friend got into Cambridge with 6 on her English even though they asked 7 on English due to her English teacher's letter.

So, I think it is the best to call them and ask them if that would be accepted (as I know Oxford does not accept that)