Should i take the SATS .... here's my situation

asian

Hey,

I got around 35-7 out of 42 for my grades in the first year on my exams. I am pretty sure that i will be preidcted 37 w/out bonus points and think that i can pick up 1-2 bonus points.

Hl

History - 7

Eco - 7

Chem - 6

SL

Maths - 6

Eng - 5

French Ab initio - 6

I want to apply to UofT in canada and a couple of good uni's in UK (UCL, Kings etc..)

However, my options dont appear to be enough since i cannot go to McGill (due to French proficiency) and USA (due to SATS)

Also in good Asian Uni's like N.U.Singapore, the IB requirements are really high.

I never took the SATS and my last chance is to take them in Oct. However, i have to do lots of IA's, TOK and my EE in the summer.

What should i do

Thanks a lot

Do you want to go to the US? If yes, then take the SATs. If no, then don't take them. It's as simple as that.

Edit: A longer answer: Don't expect us to come up with chances of getting in without knowing more of your 'stats'/ECs. Also, a hell of a lot of students attempt the SAT multiple times so you may be at a disadvantage there. Then again, you can retake them until January. All IB students have EEs/IAs/TOK needs to attend to, so you're not the sole struggler there. You'll have to manage your time if you want to take them in October.

I finished my EE in the summer, so that's one less annoyance that I had to deal with. Just had to do touch ups. Work around your IAs, it's all manageable with a bit of effort.

SAT are a good back up plan... i just took them a few weeks ago and i will be taking them again in october as well. My summer is fully booked with the same things, i have my EE in Bio, my math IA, and CAS stuff. I already finished my TOK so i'm fine.

I am also applying to Toronto for early acceptance in November so my life is so crazy. Also, think about ACT if you planning to go to school in the States as some schools look at ACT rather then the SAT. I'm taking both ACT and SAT when school starts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just finished my first year of IB and have a schedule free summer from August 1 - Sept 15

In this period, i have to study for my LNAT, do my EE and IA's, and study for the SATS

I never did them before but i applied for the October date.

I wanna apply to the UK for law, as well as the Singapore Management University and UofT.

However, just to open my options i wanna take the SATS.

Should i do them in October?

These are my grades:

HL

Chem - 6, Hist - 7, Econ - 7

SL

English A1 - 5 French AB initio - 6 Maths SL - 6

Thanks

If you think you are ready, take them.

The question is, do the schools you want to apply them require you to take the SAT?

If they do, look at the deadline they require for submission of the SAT score, because sometimes universities and colleges put the submission date for your SAT score a few months after the application deadline.

So, if you don't want to take in October, look for the last date the university will accept SAT scores, and then plan accordingly.

You said you already signed up for the October date.

If you signed up, then yes you should take them in October. I think there's a rescheduling fee of 20 USD. And if you do well but want to do better, you can retake them by the deadline that Joe mentioned.

Studying will take some time, but it's worth it. People can learn how to do well on the test. In more than one prep book, I've read the author say something like your SAT score shows how well you can take the SAT, not how smart or you. A few hours skimming over strategies and 3-4 hours working through each practice test. I would look at reading a prep book about the SAT. Sparknotes's SAT prep has reviews and practice tests.

Hey Sherry :P

I really need to give you a piece of advice, only take the SATs when you 1) want to study in the US 2) Take them when you are ready..

I fell in the trap of taking them way way before I was ready.. I needed up only getting 2110 on my third try which means I can't take the SATs again (maximum number of time you can take them is 3).

I don't really get the part about McGill... you don't have to be French to go to McGill, right?

Or do you?

Hey Sherry :P

I really need to give you a piece of advice, only take the SATs when you 1) want to study in the US 2) Take them when you are ready..

I fell in the trap of taking them way way before I was ready.. I needed up only getting 2110 on my third try which means I can't take the SATs again (maximum number of time you can take them is 3).

I don't really get the part about McGill... you don't have to be French to go to McGill, right?

Or do you?

A 2110 score isn't that bad, that can get you into some great schools. :D

lol honestly? I really hope I can at least get into a few schools on my "dream schools list"

LOL

I think I should sit the ACTs.. I don't think it's absolutely necessary but it might help my application slightly if I score higher than say, 32 :P

lol honestly? I really hope I can at least get into a few schools on my "dream schools list"

LOL

I think I should sit the ACTs.. I don't think it's absolutely necessary but it might help my application slightly if I score higher than say, 32 :D

I just finished IB1 and want to apply to Canada, UK, Singapore and the US.

I never took the SATS but am taking them in my second year on October and November.

Do i also have to take the SAT II to apply to a good Uni in the US if i want to get a law degree???

I know for CAnada (UofT) i dont need them and for UK i only need the LNAT.

Should i take the SATS and study in the summer, alongside with the LNAT, or just focus on getting high points and study for the LNAT.

Thanks and here are my grades:

HL

Chem - 6

Economics - 7

History - 7

SL

English - 5 (HOWEVER, i will stufy really hard to get a 6)

Maths - 6

French Ab Initio - 6

---------------------

Also, I wanna study law afterwards but first ill have to study 4 years undergraduate economics.

What SAT I score do i need and what SAT II score and subjects do i need to take for a good Uni (Uni Berkeley, Uni New York, Chicago, UCLA, Columbia etc....)

Thanks

Edited by _Sherry_

hey! I also commented on your tread about the SATsI in this forum...

Anyway, yes, you do have to sit the SATsII.

Most schools require 2, but in some instances, 3 is required. Most schools require you to sit one in maths (level 1 or level 2), very rarely do colleges require a language test, but that is definitely not uncommon..

Oh and take subject tests that suit your future career/major. Say you are planning to major in law. Make sure you take 1/2 subject tests relating to that. I have no idea what kind of subjects relate to law, but I'll take a wild guess here.. Literature and World History? But most importantly, play to your strengths, take subjects that you are most likely to score well in.

e.g I am planning to major in biochemistry next year so I took maths, bio and chem.

Check on: www.collegeboard.com for more information as different colleges/universities have slightly different policies.

LOL

I think I should sit the ACTs.. I don't think it's absolutely necessary but it might help my application slightly if I score higher than say, 32 :P

LOL

I think I should sit the ACTs.. I don't think it's absolutely necessary but it might help my application slightly if I score higher than say, 32 :D

Thanks for the help..... plus if you have the time, definietly do the ACT's. Some people do better on the ACT as compared to the SATS, i heard it depends on the type of person.

check out the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/education/edlife/guidance.html

Also, for law in mcGill, we are required to read cases in French.

anyway thanks again

Edited by Aboo
No text speak! - Aboo

To elaborate, I'll help you with UCLA. Go to their website [ucla.edu] and look under prospective students. It's the norm to not only have the admissions requirements but also statistics on accepted students from many previous admissions cycles.

The statistics really helped me gauge my chances, but I always made sure to put myself down so that I didn't get my hopes up. Hopefully you don't stress over the statistics too much. Go through this process with the other schools you're interested in as well.

For SAT II's - i am taking Math II and Chemistry

i did practice questions and seem to be OK with them, i think my IB knowledge will help me...

but since i am applying for undergraduate economics, i have to do literature or world history....

my english is ok (got a 5 in SL first year exam) and my IB history is good (7)

but, i checked the questions for world history and they seem so broad, i dont think ill have enoigh time to study so should i do literautre instead???

thanks

Edited by _Sherry_