Math Studies and Med

Jason08

Okay, so! Applications for early acceptance is coming out soon for US schools and Canadian schools and I am stuck with a huge problem. How important is math for an undergraduate program in Biology? I took math studies thinking that i'm going to become a pharmacist and that math SL is not really required. However this semester i found out that i am 15% (75% in chem, 90% in bio) better in Biology and it's HL and now want to pursuit a career in Med. am i screwed? all the universities i looked into in Canada that I want like U of T want Math SL or HL. I am good in math and it is too late to switch back to SL, so i am stuck in studies :P The only reason i switched to studies is because it was less stress for me and because a friend of mine did studies and became a pharmacist ( which i was aiming for, until I took Bio HL)

So what should i do? i was planning on taking Calculus and Vectors next year second semester though, after my Math Studies in 1st semester? would that be possible, like if i took Calc at another high school or at a college after school?

• 1 month later...

Yes U of T won't accept math studies. If you take Calculus and Vectors in night school/summer school/next year, then you should be fine. But don't you need to take Adv. Functions too? Or does Math Studies count for that?

Be absolutely sure that you want to switch career paths though, because it'll be hard to add another course on top of your IB courses (unless you have a spare).

Btw, are you in Ontario?

Edited by fire.realm

• 5 months later...

Um...If you want to go into med...you should have taken Math SL... Math Studies is much easier than Math SL. I believe very few north american universities accept math studies.

Oh and btw, Biology is not a good indication to be interested in Med. Biology is the easiest (relatively) of the 3 sciences, while chemistry, math and physics are more important in medicine.

So yes, I would suggest going to UK or elsewhere.

And why would you take Math Studies if you are good at math? If you are good at math, you should have at least taken Math SL....

Universities want to see you challenge yourself, rather than take the easy way out.