Fees

Dr. Polaris

Approximately how are the fees for university set out?

I know most are different, but what I mean is, are the fees per semester, year, half year, or the full 4 year course/5 year/6 year? For example, Cambridge and Liverpool for their vet course have similar prices, but they do not state if it's for the whole course (for cambridge it's 6 years and liverpool 5), or for just one year, or for one semester.

I've tried emailing them, but it's been nearly a week.

For example Cambridge charges around 14000 pounds. It'll look like it's per year, but it hasn't been stated on their website.

On an average basis, how are the fees charged?

Thanks

If you're an international student, I expect that'll be per year. For an EU student it's around £3225 per year, so it sounds quite probable that those prices are per year. They do change every year; and with the present government we voted in (well when I say we, I definitely didn't vote for them!) these fees might rise in the next few years :S Of course don't forget that tuition fees are a basic minimum; there'll also be housing costs etc. I'm sure you knew that anyway, but just thought I'd point it out! :D

It is expensive :/ However it's still less expensive than going to places like the US as an international student! Housing is expensive or cheap depending on where you are. I'm at UCL and housing in London is very costly (£150+ a week, on average) whereas in Liverpool and other cheaper areas of housing etc. you can go from £50-70+ a week... according to my friend, anyway! She may have been trying to make me jealous :S Halving the budget there! xP Basically if the Uni is in a place where only students want to be, you have it good. If the Uni is in a place where office workers & more or less everybody wants to be, it's not quiteeee so convenient.

Ah, I see.

Well, for the US, if you're also Canadian, does that count as international too :S

Cuz I can use my Canadian passport, can't I?

I was deciding whether to go to Uni of Liverpool, doesn't seem too bad for the Vet. Science section. Cambridge is surprisingly cheap for housing, too. ranging from 65-105 pounds.

Cambs they actually ought to house you in college so it'll be cheap :S

No idea about that. I suspect not. The EU is a proper organisation with formalised sharing of resources, whereas Canada and the USA aren't bound by any international agreements to my knowledge, you'll have to research it yourself.

Ah, I see.

Well, for the US, if you're also Canadian, does that count as international too :P

Cuz I can use my Canadian passport, can't I?

I was deciding whether to go to Uni of Liverpool, doesn't seem too bad for the Vet. Science section. Cambridge is surprisingly cheap for housing, too. ranging from 65-105 pounds.

As far as I know, you're considered an international student in the US, even if you have Canadian citizenship.

• 1 month later...

Canada is a member of the Commonwealth countries. More information is here if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations But it's an intergovernmental organisation with 54 independent countries. So yes, if you have Canadian citizenship and it gives lowered international fees for Commonwealth countries, you are eligible for that amount.

for other unis in the UK, where do you live? On campus or look for housing outside of your uni?

It depends on the University. Only certain Universities actually are campus Universities (e.g. Nottingham) -- quite a few don't operate with a Campus and are just in the middle of cities, especially the London Universities. Most Universities will house you for at least the first year, if not on campus then in student accommodation which they either own or rent in such a way that they have authority over it.

After the first year, dependent on how popular the University is versus how much space it has, you can either apply to remain in student accommodation or you move out into surrounding housing. As you can imagine, this is much more expensive in some places than in others!