Bio HL Paper 3 (TZ 2)

D. C.

I did options E (Neurobiology) and H (Further Human Physiology).

I was really disappointed with the questions this year:

• in option E, there was nothing on the ear or neurons!
  • in option H, there was nothing on coronary heart disease or liver disease!

Don't these things usually come up year after year, in some form or another?

And also that 6-marker question in option H on the Bohr shift - whaaaat?

I was originally planning to burn all my Bio notes...now I'm thinking I might keep them in case I do re-takes...sigh.

Well, I was also expecting the ear or the eye in option E. However, it was rather easy. I am glad that there was only one question that asked to outline a particular example (of rhythmical behaviour) because these are questions that require you to have crammed the book.

In option H I was also surprised that there were no (or one, can not recall now) questions about the absorption of food or liver, these make up a huge part of the option. But you can not say that Bohr shift was unexpected. The Gas Exchange topic was really huge and deep and I was pretty sure that there will be questions about it (I was hoping for more). The only thing you have to know about Bohr shift is that pH changes the saturation of hemoglobin, the rest of the question was simply explaining the saturation and how does it affect muscles.

I agree that it was very different than some previous papers, but it was reasonable.

Edited by Dzeb

i've done Option E (Neurobiology) and option G (Ecolgoy)..

i was disappointed.

i enjoyed studying for them, but didn't like the questions. i expected something very different.

:P

Edited by x___x

i've done Option E (Neurobiology) and option G (Ecolgoy)..

i was disappointed.

i enjoyed studying for them, but didn't like the questions. i expected something very different.

:P

I had the same options =o

Which questions didn't you like?

Wasn't there a mistake in HL Option E (TZ2)? I mean, in the first part they had four different groups labeled "Control", "Alcohol users only", "Drug users only" and "Alcohol or drug users". But shouldn't it have been "Alcohol AND drug users"? It doesn't really make any sense that there are only alcoholics and only drug users and then one group that is either drug or alcohol users. Especially when one of the questions went something like "Suggest a reason why the readings (can't remember what the data was for) were high for drug and alcohol users?" So if group 2 was "alcohol or drug users" that particular group could not be used for the answer because of the word "and" in the question. But the readings weren't high for "alcohol users only" so it couldn't have meant that AND the "drugs only" group. This means that group 2 should've been "Drug AND alcohol users". At least my bio teacher agreed with me. Anyway, the whole and/or thing threw me off a bit and it affected the answers to two questions. Sorry about the very confusing explanation, hopefully somebody understood the point I was after.

Edited by MeBe

Wasn't there a mistake in HL Option E (TZ2)? I mean, in the first part they had four different groups labeled "Control", "Alcohol users only", "Drug users only" and "Alcohol or drug users". But shouldn't it have been "Alcohol AND drug users"? It doesn't really make any sense that there are only alcoholics and only drug users and then one group that is either drug or alcohol users. Especially when one of the questions went something like "Suggest a reason why the readings (can't remember what the data was for) were high for drug and alcohol users?" So if group 2 was "alcohol or drug users" that particular group could not be used for the answer because of the word "and" in the question. But the readings weren't high for "alcohol users only" so it couldn't have meant that AND the "drugs only" group. This means that group 2 should've been "Drug AND alcohol users". At least my bio teacher agreed with me. Anyway, the whole and/or thing threw me off a bit and it affected the answers to two questions. Sorry about the very confusing explanation, hopefully somebody understood the point I was after.

yeah i see what you mean... i just took it as "and" nstead of "or".

anyway hey, at least it's over! :P