Bio HL Papers 1 & 2 May 2010

sweetnsimple786

OMG Bio!

What'd you think of it?

I'm TZ1.

I thought Paper 1 was pretty nice!

I looked at the question w/ + and - as the answers, and I was like what the heck?

But I got - and - as my answer.

And I spent way too long on the pedigree one. The only one that could have made sense was the X linked, recessive, right? I wanted to make sure that it was right...

What you get on the backwards recombinant one? I finally put A as my answer. Can't recall exactly what it was, but I remember it took me a while to get the answer.

And I hadn't studied long-day short-day enough. I read about it, but when it got to the P red and P far red, I zoned out because I didn't understand... eek.

I answered it as D.. which had something to do with one of the P acting as an inhibitor. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I also couldn't quite remember what HCG did. I said it kept up the corpus leutum...? I should go study that for tomorrow...

And for Paper 2, I thought I did fine. I wish there was more room for data analysis, but whatever.

For the lactose one, a lot of stuff from IB1 came back to me. Thank goodness. What did you say were the three reasons for galactose and glucose instead of lactose? I said something about lactose intolerance, making a thicker substance [because of hydrolysis], and one other thing.. can't remember...

But when it asked about why they put it in such low temperatures, I started BSing <3 What'd you guys say, if you answered it?

And what'd you choose for Section B? I went with 4 and 5. I was 95% done with 4 when I realized that I didn't have 90 minutes left--I had only 30! So I freaked and started writing about the leaves for #5 [it was either that or the last one with DNA, but I didn't know how to add detail to the unique versus highly repetitive, so I went with 5. I just knew I wasn't going to do #6 haha]

So I had like 10 minutes after I'd just about finished number 5, and I went back to #4. Turns out my part C for #4 was 3 sides long. I wasted way too much space on that. But overall I had 5 pages for Section B. I was just glad I finished!

How bout you?

For those that did TZ2, did you get D at the end of paper 1 and what did you guys put for the result of global temperature rise in the arctic region, was it A or B?

And what did you put for the protein translation one in paper 1, was it A, C or D? Please tell me I got it right?

I am getting really paranoid here, I really want a 6!

For those that did TZ2, did you get D at the end of paper 1 and what did you guys put for the result of global temperature rise in the arctic region, was it A or B?

And what did you put for the protein translation one in paper 1, was it A, C or D? Please tell me I got it right?

Can you please specify what the choices stood for? Honestly I don't remember.

I remember the last question was about spermatogenesis and the menstrual cycle. The answer was that one egg is produced every 28 days, and 4 gametes in males. (I was going to fall for the trick about the million sperms hahaha)

And for the global temperature rise, do you mean the permafrost question? I found that one very weird and just guessed that it's "A". (the one with something like detritus or something..)

and please specify the translation one, I don't remember it!!!

Edited by pomoni

It will be quite hard to specify, option A, B, C and D something similar had like met-tyl-ilv-ijg-oil or something with a huge table. What did you get for the platyndside organism, was it flat body?

Edited by TNT

For the global temperature question, I'm pretty sure it's A -> increase in detritus from melting of permafrost. Don't really remember the translation question sorry :ban:

It will be quite hard to specify, option A, B, C and D something similar had like met-tyl-ilv-ijg-oil or something with a huge table. What did you get for the platyndside organism, was it flat body?

the translation table? i guess it was either C or D, but as you said, it started with met or something like that.

and yeah, the platyhelminthes have flat bodies.

for the question asking about the effect of global warming on arctic regions i had the answer as A.

but what about the plant, from which phylum was it? was it filicinophytes?

paper one was nice really, but the data-based questions on paper two were annoying!

i usually relate and deduce things from the data given, but in the real exam, OMG, i couldn't! 'cause there wasn't anything to conclude or deduce, just a bunch of unrelated data, or at least that what it seemed to me.

tell me how you did with that section.

BTW, i liked all the "list" and "state" questions, so easy!

one more thing about this section, in the labelling question, the one about gene transfer, i wrote that "recombinant-plasmid bacteria" instead of a "host cell", couldn't remember the answer really, could that be a correct answer? or is the mark scheme that rigid?

section B was also nice, i solved questions 7 and 8.

question 7 was asking to outline the precautionay principle, i thought the answer is not that big so as to have 5 marks. don't know though.

sweetnsimple, it seems that nobody did the TZ1 papers! :ban:

Edited by x___x

the ligase question? was it 5' 3' DNA polymerase 3 or 3' 5' dna polymerase 3? ALSO, the water absorption? Was it small intestine or colon?

it's DNA polymerase III from 5' to 3'.

the water absorbtion mostly happens in the colon.

:ban:

the ligase question? was it 5' 3' DNA polymerase 3 or 3' 5' dna polymerase 3? ALSO, the water absorption? Was it small intestine or colon?

it's DNA polymerase III from 5' to 3'.

the water absorbtion mostly happens in the colon.

:ban:

Ohh My I love you! Everyone in my class were being smart asses saying since its ligase hence its the lagging strand hence 3' 5'. Also, the water, I know its colon, but as numbers it suggests small intestine! I wrote colon I hope its colon!

sweetnsimple, it seems that nobody did the TZ1 papers! :ban:

Haha that's what I was thinking. But I'm supposed to be frantically cramming for paper three right now, so I guess my fellow TZ1ers are doing something along those lines. Or they're just dead asleep from exhaustion.

And I just realized we didn't have some silly DNA replication/translation/transcription question on P1. Thank goodness.

Just one on Okazaki fragments and I think there were two more... can't remember now.

Good luck for Paper Three if you haven't taken it yet!

DNA ligase question was definitely DNA polymerase 5' to 3'.

However, about the water absorbtion question. Could anybody explain me the diagram that was given in the question book? I know that most water is absorbed in large intestin and in the diagram, most of the arrows showing the removal of water were on the large intestin. However, numbers were different. It started with 2000ml in the mouth, 9000ml in the small intestin and 1200ml in the colon.

Was is the it colon not the small intestine, I thought it was the colon but on the diagram the small intentine area absorbed the most water.

It was kind of misleading and weird

Edited by TNT

I studied it (and I am sure everyone else as well) studied it as the Colon, but here is the contradiction the arrows are more at the colon (water inside) and we learned it as the colon BUT the numbers suggest other wise so its either one of the "Forget what you know, and depend on the diagram only hence small intestine) OR it the idea was to check if the student was reading properly since the question is asking specifically water, and it shows that the small intestine and stomach have added to the water content so as a percentage it is less. I hope its colon!

Also, also (I know I over analyze it is my weakness and strength) the arrows in the key that represent water absorption were more at the colon than at the small intestine! What do you all think?

Well, it absorbed most STUFF, not most water. But the stuff added was saliva, gastric juice, pancreatic juice and I tend to believe that water makes a huge part of these juices. Still, I ended up with colon :ban: