May 10 Chemistry Paper 1 & 2

tdubthebassist

Does anybody remember the polar question in the paper 1, was it asking for which of these are polar or non-polar? Was the answer like BrCl3 or something can't remember? Anyone remember? I need some reassurane for my paper 1?

I hated those papers... :) We were screwed already, because of our teacher. He didn't know how to teach an IB class. Anyway, I tried my best to get enough points together, but our entire class was like whaaaat?! Do you guys think the grade boundaries will be okay for SL? I was TZ1... man, i feel bad about those papers.. :).

I think P1 was ridicously easy, think I might get full marks on that one. But P2 was so hard! None of those easy equilibrium/energetics/kinetics questions. At least most people seem to be of the same opinion, so the boundaries shouldn't be too strict, I hope.

Did anyone do the last questions on section B TZ2, the organic chemistry one? They asked for a reaction where HBr is eliminated, but there are more than one of those! I wrote the substituion with ammonia, do you think that's OK? Another guy in my class took a different one.

I think P1 was ridicously easy, think I might get full marks on that one. But P2 was so hard! None of those easy equilibrium/energetics/kinetics questions. At least most people seem to be of the same opinion, so the boundaries shouldn't be too strict, I hope.

Did anyone do the last questions on section B TZ2, the organic chemistry one? They asked for a reaction where HBr is eliminated, but there are more than one of those! I wrote the substituion with ammonia, do you think that's OK? Another guy in my class took a different one.

it said elimination of HBr. So what they were actually asking was elimination (either E1 or E2) of H and Br. So you use NaOH (warm) aqueous solution to take off H and then Br is taken off.

it said elimination of HBr. So what they were actually asking was elimination (either E1 or E2) of H and Br. So you use NaOH (warm) aqueous solution to take off H and then Br is taken off.

I didn't do that question. But if you want to eliminate HBr from a halogenoalkane, you use a hot alcoholic solution (in ethanol) of NaOH, not an aqueous solution.

Unless you guys are talking about something else.

But in an E2 or E1 reaction, H20 is eliminated, not HBr