Music for homework

Normally i prefer to do my homework without music. But due to noisy siblings i could need some to consentrate. But it can't be music with loads of words and other stuff that makes it hard to consentrate. Any suggestions for homework music?

I like kinda mellow music when I'm trying to work, and think it's easier to work if you're listening to it on an iPod than if you're listening to it out loud, as it were. Less distracting.

Anyway, I tend to listen to whole albums, my favourites (for working, that is) being...

"Wish You Were Here" and "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd (awesome as background - Pink Floyd is the best work music ever, IMO)

"Bring It On" by Gomez

"Fleet Foxes" by Fleet Foxes

"Movimento" by Madredeus

I think whole albums is a good idea because the music is designed to all meld into one cohesive whole so the transitions between them are less off-putting and you can zone it out quite easily. As for specific music, honestly, anything with large instrumental sections (as those albums I listed all have) is a winner, in my opinion. Although stuff like the intro to "Wish You Were Here" is epic chills-up-the-spine guitar, it's also very blankable! :P I've personally never found classical music very useful although some people says it's good -- I guess it's good background. I think they must have very erudite subconsciences. Mellow stuff which gets you in the zone = ;)

I enjoy playlists I've already created off iTunes playing low in the background. I've never really compiled a "study mix" or a "homework playlist" because I honestly think the theme would end up being a bunch of slow songs and ballads, which would just put me to sleep, so I stick to the random songs I've managed to string together.

You could download the instrumental version of songs you like, so that you have the tune but not the distracting words.

Something you can't sing along to. At least for me, listening to music that I know really well or am tempted to sing to is only a distraction. Shouldn't be anything loud and busy either...

I like Jason Mraz, Jack's Mannequin, Xandria (the absolute best for studying), Muse, Yann Tiersen, Vienna Teng, Owl City, Evanescence, Enya, MuteMath and stuff like that for homework. Upbeat but soothing.

Just to give some recommendations (these have worked for ME):

- Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts (don't know the exact lenght of the album, but estimated.mmmm...about 2 hours! It's completely instrumental, mostly it's just "sounds" really, but then once in a while a beat finds its way in and gives the music (AND you as well) a nice little boost ;))

- Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma/Los Angeles (this one's all about beats and experimentation, some vocals here and there, but surely not something you'd sing to.)

These were just from the top of my mind, but in general instrumental and "non-catchy" music does it for me when doing homework. If music gets too groovy you'll get distracted and can say goodbye to schoolstuff until you calm down.

But hey, try those out, I'd be glad to hear some comments about how they worked for you! ;)

Something without words is definitely the way to go, unless you're doing math homework. I find I can do math if I've got songs I can sing to playing. Otherwise, no words or I get distracted. Techno/electronica usually works pretty well; it's fast, so you don't start falling asleep, but it fades into the background very easily. If you're into video games, you could try http://ocremix.org/ - the name is a little misleading. The work you find on OCRemix is typically less of what you'd call a "remix" and more of a reinterpretation or rearrangement of songs from or inspired by video games. Getting stuff from OCR might backfire, though, if you really like videogames; you might get distracted by your desire to play games instead of finish your IA or whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

Classical, instrumental music is the best, I think. I'm not too fond of Mozart actually, but his music is usually so calm and predictable, so to speak, so that it is suitable when you just want a background noise. The music from the romantic period is too emotional and touching, in my view.

well i like listening to soft indie(independent) music for example vampire weekend and matt and kim... well their more electric pop indie music, but its unique and if your really want more soothing songs try blues music, but don't fall asleep haha