1. 1. Maths SL Paper 1 May 2010

• Easy stuff
    • I screwed up
    • So damn hard!
    • I found out I did a few things wrong and I'm mad :@
  2. 2. Maths exam in general

• I want lower boundaries!
    • I want lower boundaries!

Hi, this thread is for everyone who is in the MATHS SL MAY 2010 session.

If you remember any answers to Paper 1 of the exam that just passed a while ago please give feedback, or simply ask questions, one of us might remember them.

Edited by Sandwich
You may not discuss Paper 2 or give away information about it, even in a poll, until the time is up.

yeah, that's correct.. I'm pretty confident about that one! how did you do on the probability question?

Wasn't too difficult, the box we had to complete was the hardest for me. 3 means that he missed the bus ones and didn't the other day, and 6 means that he got on the bus both times tight?

yeah, that's correct.. I'm pretty confident about that one! how did you do on the probability question?

I'm pretty sure that the IB made a mistake in that question, and it got me stuck and I lost around 20 minutes (causing me not to have enough time for the exam)...

It said that Jose misses the bus 2/3 times, and 1/3 times he obviously catches it. But then, in that table you had to copy and complete, under 0 euros, it should have been:

(probability of missing the bus) * (probability of missing the bus)

= 2/3 * 2/3

= 4/9

when they put that it was 1/9...

Can anyone confirm this? I'm thinking about going to talk to my teacher...

Edited by luiz

I'm pretty sure that the IB made a mistake in that question, and it got me stuck and I lost around 20 minutes (causing me not to have enough time for the exam)...

It said that Jose misses the bus 2/3 times, and 1/3 times he obviously catches it. But then, in that table you had to copy and complete, under 0 euros, it should have been:

(probability of missing the bus) * (probability of missing the bus)

= 2/3 * 2/3

= 4/9

when they put that it was 1/9...

Can anyone confirm this? I'm thinking about going to talk to my teacher...

Hmm I think they did make a mistake :coffee: Coz im pretty sure the probability he misses the bus was 2/3 so if he pays 0 euros mean he doesn't get on the bus at all (2/3)*(2/3)

That means i screwd up my 6 euro box..... the probability he gets on the bus is (1/3) so if he pays 6 euro he gets on the bus both days (1/3)*(1/3)... damn

the probability that he misses the bus was 1/3 I think.. 1/3 * 1/3 equals 1/9 so I don't think they made a mistake..

Are you sure? I seem to remember that it was 2/3 he would miss it, and one third he would catch it...

Anyway, in the end I gave up, and just put

0 3 6

1/9 4/9 4/9

Edited by luiz

the probability that he misses the bus was 1/3 I think.. 1/3 * 1/3 equals 1/9 so I don't think they made a mistake..

Are you sure? I seem to remember that it was 2/3 he would miss it, and one third he would catch it...

0 3 6

1/9 4/9 4/9

isn't 3 supposed to be 2/9?

0 3 6

1/9 4/9 4/9

isn't 3 supposed to be 2/9?

Nope, because it's the probability that he misses it on Monday and catches it on Tuesday (1/3 * 2/3) PLUS the probability that he misses it on Tuesday and catches it on Monday (again 1/3 * 2/3)

So could someone give me the answer for the area of the shaded region in question 10? the one where you had to express it in terms of pi

Sorry I don't remember that question! :/ can you explain it more?

it gave you the function and the graph, you had to find some points on the graph,as well as the derivative. Then it asked to find the x intercept, i got 3pi/2. It then asked to find the area of the shaded region between 0 and 3pi/2. Oh and if i recall the function was f(x)= 6+6sinx. I got an asnwer of 9pi for the area of the shaded region

it gave you the function and the graph, you had to find some points on the graph,as well as the derivative. Then it asked to find the x intercept, i got 3pi/2. It then asked to find the area of the shaded region between 0 and 3pi/2. Oh and if i recall the function was f(x)= 6+6sinx. I got an asnwer of 9pi for the area of the shaded region

Ah sorry I can't help with that one, didn't have enough time to do the integration... But I also got 3pi/2 as the x-intercept!

What about the question where it gave you the equation of a line parallel to the normal y=-1/8x i think, and you had to find k. What did you get for k?

Hmm. I remember doing it but I don't remember my answer, sorry! I just remember, it was like:

the normal had gradient of -1/8, that * gradient of line at that point must equal -1, so the gradient at that point was 8.

I don't remember any more. Sorry :/