The effect of literary devices?

TNT

• 2 months later...

How does literary devices like simile, metaphor, diction, structure and sound affect the poem? How do I go about analyzing how these will have an impact on the poem? Please help urgent.

There is no general effect these devices have on a poem...they differ from one to the other. You will just have to contextualize the devices putting into consideration the mood of the poem and its key ideas.

• 5 weeks later...

How does literary devices like simile, metaphor, diction, structure and sound affect the poem? How do I go about analyzing how these will have an impact on the poem? Please help urgent.

There is no general effect these devices have on a poem...they differ from one to the other. You will just have to contextualize the devices putting into consideration the mood of the poem and its key ideas.

I agree with this. Every poet will utilize literary devices in different ways in order to accomplish his task.

For example, Whitman uses repetition to provide pinpoint details and to evoke imagery, whereas Frost will usually use it to emphasize certain aspects of the poem.

If you reread the text and consider the specific instances of literary devices contextually, you can usually disern usage.

However, on your first readthrough if you just ignore literary stuff and just get a feel for the meaning and emotions in the poem, discovering what does what )as in literary tools) always becomes easier.