Should I take Spanish?

The Fish

Hello everyone! ;)

I am new here, so sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place. I am a Canadian grade 10 student. I hope to study software engineering at Waterloo University.

I have to decide what courses to take next year by the end of this week end.

So I think I am going to take:

English IB

Spanish AB Initio IB

Mathematics IB

Physics IB

Chemistry IB

History IB

TOK

The problem is that right now my school doesn't offer Math, Physics OR Chemistry HL.

So I have 4 SL courses and only 2 HL courses. My IB coordinator said that we mighthave math or chemistry HL if there is enough demmand for it, but she doesn't know.

I could take all of these courses, hoping that I will be able to do the diploma, but I don't know if I will be able to. The thing is, I really am not good at studying languages. So I really don't want to do Spanish.

Is the full IB diploma that big of a deal? Do universities care that much if you have a diploma versus just having IB certificates?

If I KNEW I wasn't going to be able to do the diploma right now, I wouldn't take spanish.

What do you think I should do?

DON'T DO IB AND DON'T DO SPANISH

If your school does not offer HLs in those important subjects it obviously has not/does not have very many students and is therefore not well equipped to provide you with a good enough opportunity to attain high marks

I say do your local syllabus and drop Spanish ASAP - its safer and you'll be a happier person over all

Well, as I said, it isn't possiable for me to do the diploma. But there's no reason I shouldn't do IB certificates, right?

I think courses like Physics IB SL are still more advanced then the normal advanced physics (there aren't AP courses where I live, it's a very rural area).

My plan is to just do individual IB courses and graduate as a normal high school student. What's wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with that. If it isn't possible for you to obtain the diploma, then there's no reason for going through all its requirements. Just get certificates in the subjects you're interested in and drop the language. You won't have to bother with TOK either!

I don't know how difficult Physics in IB is relative to local Canadian curriculum, but SLs are generally considered 'easier' than APs.

It depends on wether you will need spanish in the future or not. In my opinion, it is not a widely used languae and so you wudnt really use it. And since you mentioned you arent that good with languages i frankly suggest you drop it.

Thats just my opinion :blink:

Yeah. I am still going to do the IB certificates in English, Physics, Chemistry, Math, and History. These courses are more advanced (or at least equally advanced) to the normal Nova Scotian courses where I live, I think.

Thank ya people! :blink: