Irregular Diploma

Guest PollyPeptide

Guest PollyPeptide

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there is anyone here taking the IB Irregular Diploma.

Which basically means that you can skip one of the 6 groups and replace it with a subject from another group. Say, if you only wanted Natural Sciences, you skip Group 4 and take three Sciences from Group 5 instead. You can do this if you provide proof that this is needed for your further education.

I'm taking it with three Sciences, because Swedish med schools require Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I know two other people taking it as well (we're considered suicidal by other students >.<), but there doesn't seem to be very many taking it in other countries.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there is anyone here taking the IB Irregular Diploma.

Which basically means that you can skip one of the 6 groups and replace it with a subject from another group. Say, if you only wanted Natural Sciences, you skip Group 4 and take three Sciences from Group 5 instead. You can do this if you provide proof that this is needed for your further education.

I'm taking it with three Sciences, because Swedish med schools require Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I know two other people taking it as well (we're considered suicidal by other students :P), but there doesn't seem to be very many taking it in other countries.

....WHAT? :0 >.<

I'm from Sweden and I would have loved to take 3 sciences as well (although I'd miss psychology x_x) but they said it wasn't allowed. I would love to keep the diploma as it is now and instead take an extra 7th subject but gosh, not even that was allowed with sciences (but for social sciences and languages it was! Gah, discrimination :D ) . Instead, you could only take IB Physics and chemistry and then have biology a (national programme) which just sucks because biology a = lame lame lame :D Which is why I skipped physics and took ib biology...

Anyways, do you still get the usual diploma or is it different in a way? Which one did you replace?

• Like 1

Guest PollyPeptide
....WHAT? :0 >.<

I'm from Sweden and I would have loved to take 3 sciences as well (although I'd miss psychology x_x) but they said it wasn't allowed. I would love to keep the diploma as it is now and instead take an extra 7th subject but gosh, not even that was allowed with sciences (but for social sciences and languages it was! Gah, discrimination :P ) . Instead, you could only take IB Physics and chemistry and then have biology a (national programme) which just sucks because biology a = lame lame lame :D Which is why I skipped physics and took ib biology...

Anyways, do you still get the usual diploma or is it different in a way? Which one did you replace?

That sucks! Yeah, you're allowed, but IBO doesn't recommend it, because that would "narrow down your further education choices" >_>

Which school do you go to? Maybe your teachers don't know about it, if IB is new at your school. My coordinator never told me about this choice. I heard it from someone else, and then when I asked my coordinator, she was like "Yeah... Yeah, there is an alternative. But it's not recommended." >_>

I don't know the details about the diploma, but it is (should be, at least) as valid as the regular one. I replaced History with Physics SL ^^

• 1 year later...

I know I have asked this question to some IB-ers. But I really would like to hear what everyone has got to say.

Im currently finalising my IB subjects. Seeing that you all know more about IB than me and many have survived through IB >.< I hope you can help me to clear up a few uncertainties:)

I have selected all three sciences in the place of a social science. My IBC has already applied to IBO for an irregular diploma.

I will be anticipating maths SL next year.

So my questions are:

1) Would all universities recognise this irregular diploma and regard it as an equal qualification to the normal diploma?

2) Upon the completion of IB, would I be be awarded with a diploma or instead, certificates for each subject?

I am thinking of applying to some American/Canadian/English universities. I fear they would reject my application because of the absence of a social science.

Thank you so much for your help:)

Disclaimer: People who do not know what an irregular diploma is, please do not answer and misinform the OP. These posts will be deleted.

If you'd like to know what an irregular diploma is, the OP explains it and there was an older thread here

---

Merged the two threads

-Hien

I am taking irregular diploma. It is recognized as a regular ib diploma by all te universities, you do receive a normal ib diploma after graduation and it certainly does not narrow down yor further academical choices as long as you have at least a minimal idea what you are planning to do further after ib

I have a classmate who is taking English A1, French B and Arabic B. She doesn't have a Group 6 subject. Her other subjects are Biology, History and Math Studies. Is that still an irregular diploma, even though it's not the sciences that she's taking like everyone else here?

She got permission I guess because she wants to study Arabic at university. She could have just dropped French though. But I think she also didn't want to study Economics or Art, which are the only Group 6 subjects being offered this year.

• Like 1

No, that isn't an irregular diploma since she has at least one from groups 1 through 5. Group 6 is actually either something like Theatre or Art, or any additional subject from groups 2 through 4. The thing with it adding up to three languages and seeming weird is just that there are two groups that include languages. I take three languages myself, with French B HL as my sixth subject!

At my school they don't offer any group 6 subjects, so we have to choose another subject from languages, societies and whatever it's called, and sciences. Most people choose another science or a social science, but we're a few taking a third language too. It still satisfies all the requirements for the Diploma.

I've asked around and I've came to the conclusion that choosing a social science would be much more beneficial for me. In Year 13, I would only have English, Bio, Chem and psychology. That would give me more time to study those subjects thoroughly and would also give me time to do college apps/SATII/UMAT etc etc

So i guess it's time to change my signature:)