English A1 or A2?

skag13

Hey !

Facts:

Norwegian is my mother tongue.

I've spent 5 years at an international school where all subjects are taught in English.

I started learning English at the age of 6.

These are the subjects I'll most likely choose:

Maths HL

Economics HL

Chemistry HL

English A1/A2 SL

Spanish B SL

Physics / Norwegian SL.

The dilemma is: I really want to study physics, but if I do - I'll either have to choose English A1 or drop the Spanish. Spanish is very important to me, so that is not really an option.

Is there a gigantic difference between English A1 and A2 ? Will I be able to cope if I study hard and do my best to become fluent?

I really like physics and I'm not going to have any use for Norwegian.

I want to study International Business in the UK or US, and Norwegian isn't going to help me very much - is it?

So, what do you think? English A1 or A2?

Ok, A1 = literature pure!!! A2 = quite a lot of literature and bits of language

Well, if you chose English A2 you'd obviously have to do Norwegian A1. Just depends in which language you feel more comfortable with (speaking about literature, literary terms etc...). And (taking your text above into account) I guess Norwegian would be the better choice. I think the IB supports that students study their MOTHER TONGUE for A1 - since that's what that subject is for. And English clearly is not your mother tongue, so if I were you I wouldn't go for it. Don't neglect your roots - be proud of speaking(+being) norwegian! It's always a pro to speak foreign languages. And if you went to the US, it would be nice to have it written on your diploma, wouldn't it!? :coffee:

If you want to do business, you won't need physics, will you? And if you prefer physics to chemistry, just do physics instead of it...

hope that helps...

If you want to study international business I'd say do Norwegian A1, English A2 and Spanish B and not Physics. If Spanish is so important to you why don't you do it at Higher level think about that. If you want to keep Physics, just don't do Chemistry. So do Norwegian, English, Spanish, Math, Physics and Economics.

• 3 months later...

Hey !

Facts:

I've spent 5 years at an international school where all subjects are taught in English.

Maths HL

Economics HL

Chemistry HL

English A1/A2 SL

Spanish B SL

Physics / Norwegian SL.

The dilemma is: I really want to study physics, but if I do - I'll either have to choose English A1 or drop the Spanish. Spanish is very important to me, so that is not really an option.

Is there a gigantic difference between English A1 and A2 ? Will I be able to cope if I study hard and do my best to become fluent?

I want to study International Business in the UK or US, and Norwegian isn't going to help me very much - is it?

I'd say definately go for English A2. English A1 is quite demanding, especially for a non-native speaker.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I am sorry for interrupting your topic, skag13.

Can I just ask, if doing Norwegian A1 means you have to self-taught. Would it worth choosing it ?!?

I mean like if I choose Norwegian A1 - SL means I can take English A2 - HL.

Will it be better than choosing English SL and studying an ab initio (totally new language)?

P.S I am not native English speaker. In this case, I am native Norwegian ^^!

As mentioned English A1 is quite demanding, so unless you are very confident in your literary analysis abilities in English or do not care about getting a very good grade Norwegian A1 would probably be a better choice. That being said, studying a self-taught language does require a lot of self-discipline and individual study and it is much harder to get everything done well early enough.

So, depends on how good you are in individual study, as well as how good you are at literary analysis in English.

• 4 months later...

Maths HL

Economics HL

Chemistry HL

English A1/A2 SL

Spanish B SL

Physics / Norwegian SL.

I would suggest

• English A2 SL
  • Spanish B SL
  • Norwegian A1 SL

If you really want physics maybe you could do:

• English A1 SL
  • Spanish B SL
  • Physics SL

There are a lot of students whose first language is not English, but they still do English A1. My friends speaks Hebrew, and in 9th grade she didn't know any English, now she is taking English A1 perfectly... Weigh your abilities... but honestly, I would go with A2 English

Don't do English A1 unless you're confident enough with your literary analysis skills. It's only demanding from that perspective, and it's quite a significant perspective at that. Otherwise, English A1 is pretty fun if you enjoy languages.

If you're planning on taking a science-based major, or something that involves a lot of practical work, your best option is:

Norwegian A1 HL

English A2 SL

Economics HL

Chemistry HL

Physics SL

Math HL

If you're doing something similar to business, which requires more study than practical work, then:

English A1 SL

Norwegian A2 HL

Economics HL

Either Chem HL or Physics SL

Spanish B HL/SL depending on which science you choose

Math HL

And don't forget-- there's always the option of further studying Spanish outside of school, and it would count as CAS.

Hey !

Facts:

Maths HL

Economics HL

Chemistry HL

English A1/A2 SL

Spanish B SL

Physics / Norwegian SL.

Hello!!

My suggestion for you is to take Norwegian A1 and English A2!

Spanish you could always learn during a summer course or just over the the years.

I have been taking English A2 HL and Dutch A1 SL and I am still glad that I made that decision two years ago :)

Hope this helps!

Yes there is a significant difference between English A1 and A2. Also, English A1 is considered to be one of the hardest subjects in that very few people achieve a 7. I have attended both English and Norwegian A1 classes and I can tell you that Norwegian is easier to score higher in, even though technically neither of them are my native tongue.

But since you say that you've been fluent in English for a long time, it probably isn't a problem, and then you can take Spanish B.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...