Im scared!

SaraK

Heyy my name is sara and ill be doing Pre-IB next year(freshmen year) and then begin IB junior year. Im a straight A student and have no problems with procrastination & love a challenge. But everyone tells me how hard it'll be & how i'll loose my social life and etc. Can you give me some advice on how hard it'll be and if its really worth it? Will i be stuck with the same students throughout the whole day? Any classes I should NOT take..& anything else you think will be helpful! Thnak you so much :coffee:

Probally the best thing you can do is worry more about it next year, and if you think that it may be too challenging then take a look at possible course material.

What i think would help is to look at the colleges you are interested in (you can start this even in freshmen year) and what their policies are on IB. You will probally be stuck with the same students in your IB classes, along with some "electives" like for the art group IB art (or ITGS works too). If some of your friends are going into IB too you will have no problem in social life. you don't really lose it, you just have less of it until you learn to time manage again. Probally biggest tip is don't procastinate, even if it might seem worth it

Edited by 2401 I Hate Tangents

It's not really hard in terms of needing to have an IQ of 130 to be able to do it, you just need to be hard working. It was worth it to me but a lot of people don't think it's worth it.

My social life wasn't a problem since all my best friends were in pre-IB with me and they went into IB too. Our class of IB kids got very close and we still call ourselves the "IB family" and have reunions every summer/winter break even though we're all sophomores in university now.

But yes you'll be with the same people everyday for the most part so hopefully you like them haha.

Yes, it is hard. But it's doable. You need to be hard-working and you need to really want it. If you're clever then you'll probably also have time for friends & family. If you need to revise lots in order to memorize stuff, then probably not really. In some parts of the world, the IB is favoured, in others, they don't even know what it is and prefer their "usual" diploma (like A-levels in the UK, Abi in Germany... for example)...

I'm glad I did it (am doing it) but I wouldn't do it again...

ps: don't do chemistry!! :coffee:

It depends on what you're used to. Yes IB sucks but I am not too miserable because I took MYP pre-IB and it is an even more misery intensive program. If you're taking a very lax program atm you may not be able to deal with it.

But honestly, though I do hate it, its only partially because of the workload. Its not really as bad as everyone says it is and you should go for it. However, if you don't want to put so much time into it, maybe avoid difficult subjects like math hl/physics hl/chem hl.