Geography Core: population density "cultural factor"

decemberflower

Hi,

I'm finally starting to revise for my Geography SL exams in May. For core topic 1 (Population distribution and density at global and local scales) it says in the syllabus: "... Describe and quantify the spatial variations in a chosen country and explain the variations in terms of environmental, economic, historical, cultural and political factors." I can imagine some arguments for environmental, economic and political factors and the study guide I'm using (OSC) gives examples for this, too. But then it says: "In order to achieve the full 12 marks in the question set, I would also need to refer to histroical and cultural factors."

I'm a little scared now because I realize we didn't treat case studies that detailed in class. I will use Brazil for this. Does anyone know what they want to hear for cultural and historical factors??

(e.g. that Manaus is an anomaly bcs it is populated in the middle of nowhere due to the 19th&20th century rubber boom and status as free port since 1980s --- is this cultural and historical?? or only economic & political??? or all of that?)

thanks!!

They just want depth.

Giving dates constitutes as historical facts. An example of cultural facts are: e.g. China's one child policy - as a result of Chinese tradition favoring girls, there are many reports of infanticide when women have found that they are carrying a female child - resulting in disproportionate gender ratios.

• 2 weeks later...