Ruan Chun Xian

I just got this question in my macroeconomics exam this morning:

If Jane married her gardener, Bob, then:

a) GDP would increase and welfare would stay the same

b ) GDP would increase and welfare would increase

c) GDP would stay the same and welfare would increase

d) Nothing would happen

e) None of the above

EVERYONE I spoke to afterwards thought that was a stupid question. I looked at it and was thinking :D err - what?

It just seems so much like a weird, random question that has little to do with economics unless I'm missing something huge here. I mean, they were on this stride about monetary and fiscal policies then there is this. :)

I chose e. But it's still a weird and funny question. :D

Hmmm...

I had a similar style of question on the written exam for a competition I was at for DECA, but my question was something along the lines of

"Joe broke his leg from a soccer game, he went to the hospital and got a cast. This is an example of: *choices*"

I was speechless when I saw it. :D

(DECA is a business related extra curricular club)

• 2 weeks later...
I just got this question in my macroeconomics exam this morning:

If Jane married her gardener, Bob, then:

a) GDP would increase and welfare would stay the same

b ) GDP would increase and welfare would increase

c) GDP would stay the same and welfare would increase

d) Nothing would happen

e) None of the above

EVERYONE I spoke to afterwards thought that was a stupid question. I looked at it and was thinking :P err - what?

It just seems so much like a weird, random question that has little to do with economics unless I'm missing something huge here. I mean, they were on this stride about monetary and fiscal policies then there is this. XD

I chose e. But it's still a weird and funny question. :)

it should be e) None of the above.

This is because if Jane married her gardener, Bob, she would no longer have to pay for his services as they are married. Even if she does pay, this would only be a transfer of money which in turn, is not counted in GDP. So this would decrease the overall GDP.

GDP would stay the same, or at least have no real impact on national level, and welfare... increase?? since we kinda assume that the gardner is more poor, thus lead to welfare??

I know GDP would stay the same...but would welfare increase? She wouldn't have to pay him to do gardening anymore so she's better off but he's losing an income unless he finds another job somewhere else, in which case there'd be more income in their household...so it all depends on what happens after they get married. To answer this question you have to be given more info or assume a lot of things. I still think it's E. I think it's a trick question :P .