Is anyone in Model United Nations or Youth European Parliament?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey! Mine is kinda similar i guess. My old school have this Harvard Model Congress, where you represent a leader in each country trying to solve global issues such as global warming, wars in blah blah blah...It's very interesting but since it was so expensive and i'm still in MYP...i didn't join it :bawling:

I'm also in BC Youth Parliament, no pre-reqs.

crystal...can you tell me more about it?? it seems so interesting and i definitely wanna do it next year! since i'm in BC, surrey~ don't know if you recognize it - -'' near Burnaby and Richmond

Guest iber2468

^ All this time you're in BC and you never mentioned?! Do you go to Semiahmoo or Pacific Academy?

For those who are curious, BCYP has about 100 members every year, and the meet inside the parliament building in Victoria, BC for 5 days over the xmas break where they pass legislations on regional youth parls, camp phoenix, and other volunteer project. It's pretty cool to sit where the mlas sit. You learn tons about parl procedure! There are evening activities and regular outings while in victoria. If you are a first year member, you stay in a hotel with a cabinet member or a more senior member.

Throughout the year, they have soup kitchen volunteer projects, volunteer at camp and auctions, etc.

I did it last year... not going back this year b/c i didn't bother w/ the returning requirements. GREAT EXPERIENCE.

Edited by Crystal

• 4 weeks later...
Guest quisquis

I attended a MUN last spring and I got 25 hours Activity (sic) for it. Kind of surprising, but oh well, luckily I'm not really short of CAS hours. There were no prerequisites...we can anyway only take Geography for the IB here (and not History, unfortunately, though we have history as compulsory subject in the parallel national diploma "Matura" programme).

I guess if you're interested in current politics, read a newspaper from time to time (and I mean, newspaper, not these free "TV guides combined with gossip and pictures" leaflets that can be found at train stations...), then you should manage quite well. Just make sure that you pick a country for your delegation which has an opinion that can be easily found. I was in the British delegation and it was already quite a research task to find enough positions for all the issues in all the committees, now imagine if I had had to do this for say...Kirgistan or Malawi.

Anyway, it was a valuable experience and I can only recommend it...

• 3 months later...

I've been to two MUN conferences, one in Brunei arranged by the International School of Brunei (Brunei Global Issues Conference). The second time I went was about a month ago to SiMUN by the Lycée Français Singapour; both were great experiences but I enjoyed the BGIC more.

I'd recommend anyone considering doing it to do it because it really is an eye opening and fun experience if you join in and participate. Gives a real feel of what it must be like at the Hague, though if you're lucky enough there is a THIMUN at the Hague every year. However, it does highlight some of the major issues with the UN.

I got some nifty hours that it too :yes:

heey

i have went to three MUN's 2 in bahrain (national MUN's) and 1 in jordan (international MUN) --- they are amazing experiences i had the tiem of my life in jordan it was amazing and we got to meet a lot of new people

we are planning the first annual Bahrain international MUN soo if anyone is interested please tell me and i will help in registration or anything!!

we would love for you to attend the conference ane help make it a success!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Woah,

It looks like everyone went far with their Model United Nations club. Nationals? Gah. My school has only participated in two smaller conferences in the Northern California area.

But we only started the club last year.

What are national conferences like? Do they only include schools from your nation or do they also allow other nations to participate?

its just a club at my school, no class or anything required, and lots of CAS hours to gain. i went to THIMUN, the hague international model united nations. ithink its the biggest one in the world... around 4000 students? anyone else go there? im really hoping to do photography for munity next year

you don't need to take social science. in most schools it's an extracurricular club, but we've an MUN class (american diploma, not IB) that goes into detail about UN processes regarding resolution writing and whatnot. it's not, however, mandatory for those interested in participating in an MUN conference.

national conferences are quite small and are usually hosted by schools with a primitive MUN program- most conferences are international ones where a school hosts the conference and invites schools from various countries around the world.

Yes, I was in MUN for the last 4 years of my life. In our school theres an MUN class with an academic credit but I do not think that you have to have any prerequisites to be in MUN. However, you must know MUN rules and procedures and country policies and what not.

• 4 weeks later...

I would just say that if you're considering MUN, do so because you're genuinely interested and not just for CAS. A lot of my classmates did it just for the CAS hours last year, and they hated the 7 hours we spent debating world issues every day. It's also really boring for everyone else in the room if you never participate and don't know anything about the issues.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For me, I jumped into MUN because I was interested in debate. MUN at the time seems interesting to me and now my school offically has a club for it. I think that it isn't neccessary to take a social science but it would be worth it, so you have a better understanding of whats going on around the world. I would also suggest watching the news, reading magazines and newspapers etc to get a feel of whats going around in today's society. It should help you a lot in MUN =]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I would just say that if you're considering MUN, do so because you're genuinely interested and not just for CAS. A lot of my classmates did it just for the CAS hours last year, and they hated the 7 hours we spent debating world issues every day. It's also really boring for everyone else in the room if you never participate and don't know anything about the issues.

Seven hours?!?

Wow, the most that I have done at a conference was three hours one night and four hours the next day.

How many seven hour days did you have at your conference?

I also agree with how some people think that MUN is boring when they don't know the issues. That was the case for the majority of the students that participated as part of our delegation for our first conference. They ended up not liking it and pretty much sat in their spots and never participated in caucuses. This was even the case for me the first time I went to a conference, but the second time it was so much more fun because I was familiar with the procedures and because I studied my topic well.