What do you want to be when you grow up?

Caitlin

People always tell my I'm boring and/or lame for wanting to do what I want to do, (my ToK teacher especially used to make fun of me, actually) but I really want to be a lawyer specializing in tax law. Yesterday I had a crisis and HAD to decide what I was going to do with my life (I'm doing a B.Sc. with Honours in Pure Math, maybe joint honours with statistics or a minor in economics; I realised yesterday that I really don't think I'm cut out to be an academic, so I got a little worried). As it turns out, an honours degree in math is suitable for entry into an MA program in Economics, which I can take concurrently with a JD in just 3 years. Then, if I want, I can get my LL.M. and specialize in tax law, which is my eventual goal.

My backup plan is to complete the actuarial science requirements at my university, and then try to become a practicing actuary. If I get into the job and end up hating it (I can't see that happening) I can still go to law school if I want to. It seems like a fairly safe thing to do, especially considering I would have completed most of the actuarial science courses that I need to do anyway for my Math degree and potential economics minor anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

In primary 2, I wanted to be a teacher. I was a kid! So yeah..

In primary 6, I wanted to be a psychologist. My teacher was one and it attracted me as I wanted to understand people's feelings and problems etc.. Those kinds of stuff..

In middle sch, I started to think that being a psychologist is not worth it. It will not get me a good job and a lot of money. So I wanted to become a graphic designer.

In year 10, I started to realise that it ain't my place. I am not that creative. I loved Maths and so I wanted to be an engineer.

And now, in year 11, I start to think that being a teacher is a good occupation. Yeah, for a better future. Going back to my very first dream. However it will not make such lots of money and so I might change my mind later :P

<br />Actually some professors make alot more money than you expect =\ But if your talking like... high school teacher... they make less than you would expect \= My mom taught primary grade 2/3 for about a year. She made 11,000 rupees a month. AWESOME! ( to clarify , thats not awesome, its like US$150 )<br />
<br /><br /><br />Hahahaha I'd agree with the last sentence. I think it would depend on where you teach and what grade you teach :)

but looking at your very first sentence... I might want to try that job :D

Something involving chemistry, although I don't want to be a doctor.

There is a power plant not too far from where I live, as well as a LOT of water (an ocean, two aquariums, a bay, and a lot of rivers). Hopefully I can do something at the power plant or with the many water things around.

I want to be a graphic designer. :) My dream job, though, is acting. Not going to happen, lol. Too much competition! But my second love is the visual arts, and I'm told creativity is a strength of mine, so graphic design feels right for me. My family thinks it's a cop-out job, but that's because they're Arab and the only suitable jobs in their minds are doctors/lawyers/engineers/business. Oh well! If graphic design is my passion, I'm going to follow it to the end. :P

Edited by solastalgia

I want to be a graphic designer. :) My dream job, though, is acting. Not going to happen, lol. Too much competition! But my second love is the visual arts, and I'm told creativity is a strength of mine, so graphic design feels right for me. My family thinks it's a cop-out job, but that's because they're Arab and the only suitable jobs in their minds are doctors/lawyers/engineers/business. Oh well! If graphic design is my passion, I'm going to follow it to the end. :blink:

lol im not arab but my family is the same except the options are sort of narrowed down to just DOCTOR

I want to be a graphic designer. :) My dream job, though, is acting. Not going to happen, lol. Too much competition! But my second love is the visual arts, and I'm told creativity is a strength of mine, so graphic design feels right for me. My family thinks it's a cop-out job, but that's because they're Arab and the only suitable jobs in their minds are doctors/lawyers/engineers/business. Oh well! If graphic design is my passion, I'm going to follow it to the end. :blink:

Haha same! My families Indian though, so maybe its an overall Indus Valley thing? Wonder what they did back in those times.

I used to want to be a graphics designer actually, but not im thiking i'll do graphics design on the side. It's wierd, on one side, im quite good at maths and my brain is wired for that kinda stuff, but I also really enjoy creativity like graphics and web design. Web design actually works really wellfor me, it's got the mathematicish aspect of programming, but also the creative aspect of designin :)