World Lit Question

avident

I'm currently reading the three WL books from which we'll have to write our essay in the fall, and consequently started brainstorming a topic. We haven't received any guidelines from our teacher yet, but as the early bird catches the worm, I'd like to enquire some specifics here already. First of all, can I focus on merely two characters (one per book) or would it be better to broaden my horizons to include more? I already have a topic, but I'm not completely sure how to go about it. Should I compare these two characters - and if so, should I choose two that have common traits? And finally, how many words is a WL-essay?

I know these are stupid questions, but I couldn't find the answers anywhere! Thanks.

Edited by avident

Well for a start you don't just have to compare characters, but if you have two main characters with similar roles within both texts, that sounds like a cool topic. There's no rule as to how many you compare, provided you have enough content to write a very meaty 1,500 words worth! What you want to do is pick a topic with lots of compare and contrast in, so it's a good idea to have two reasonably similar characters, otherwise it'll be an empty comparison.

You should perhaps google the mark scheme? http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:H36OqxzHzI8J:www.bisnet.or.id/vle/mod/resource/view.php%3Fid%3D5602+world+literature+a1+hl+criteria&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a XD That'll help get you started. WL isn't too hard at all, provided you pick the right topic with plenty of stuff to go through.

EDIT: Hrm seems to be pretending it's a dud link! If that link doesn't work, try this: http://www.bisnet.or.id/vle/mod/resource/view.php?id=5602

Also just to clarify when I said you don't just have to compare characters I mean you can also compare things like themes (e.g. love, death), chronology, styles etc., provided in doing so you're ultimately comparing their use and the author's intent behind them.

Edited by Sandwich

I just want to add one thing--

What you want to do is pick a topic with lots of compare and contrast in, so it's a good idea to have two reasonably similar characters, otherwise it'll be an empty comparison.

My teacher said that we can contrast slightly, but the vast majority of our 1000-1500 words [by the way, the "meatier" or the closer you are to 1500 words, the better, generally hahaha] should be used to compare.

Also, I compared two characters =)