difference between highschool and uni?

ibmonkey

hey guys i just want to know what the real big difference is between uni and HS. obviously its completely different in terms of time management, learning style. i know all of that.

but how would your typical day look like at uni.. like your timetable(i know everyones will be different)

i just want to know what i can expect, because i mean in this current economic slump i want a job to keep me stable. so how does this work with your timetable and classes on weekends>

please let me know..

Highly depends on your uni and your degree.

My business degree, I have at max 14 hours of contact classes per week. My engineering friends do up to 20-25 (extra are lab hours). In my second year I managed to cram all my classes into 2 days so I was only at uni 2 days/week but that was the worst decision ever because everything ends up being due on the same day. It's very stressful.

Biggest difference is you don't get "homework" in uni, all the homework is usually optional. You're only marked on assignments, quizzes, tests and exams. So in that sense you have a lighter workload because you don't have to do all the textbook/tutorial questions if you don't want to. And you have to become more self-dependent, profs really don't care if you don't hand in assignments or don't submit your quizzes, they're perfectly content giving you a 0 while in high school, you had teachers that would nag you and remind you about it. So if you're lazy and unmotivated then you're screwed.

I have usually on average 3 classes/day, some days I have 4, some days I have 1, it really varies. No classes on weekends though. I don't have a job during the school year but you can easily work that into your schedule, especially if you get a job on campus.

Highly depends on your uni and your degree.

My business degree, I have at max 14 hours of contact classes per week. My engineering friends do up to 20-25 (extra are lab hours). In my second year I managed to cram all my classes into 2 days so I was only at uni 2 days/week but that was the worst decision ever because everything ends up being due on the same day. It's very stressful.

i am looking to study a bachelor or business majoring in events management. would i have a similar sort of schedule to you . i mean every uni is different. but you know what i mean

Edited by Aboo
No text speak! - Aboo

In university, you can choose your own classes at your own times.

Well, you can't have them whenever you want because otehrwise the professor would have to teach people the same material 6 times a day. In some universities they might have the same class/lecture offered twice a day/different days of the week, so you can choose what suits you better. In other places it might not be so flexible, and the same professor may teach several courses a day so he can only lecture at a certain time. You eitehr show up or you don't.

But a lot of people tell me that the university worklaod is similar to the IB's, so it's more of a shock for people that come from other eductaional systems.

In university, you can choose your own classes at your own times.

Well, you can't have them whenever you want because otehrwise the professor would have to teach people the same material 6 times a day. In some universities they might have the same class/lecture offered twice a day/different days of the week, so you can choose what suits you better. In other places it might not be so flexible, and the same professor may teach several courses a day so he can only lecture at a certain time. You eitehr show up or you don't.

But a lot of people tell me that the university worklaod is similar to the IB's, so it's more of a shock for people that come from other eductaional systems.

True, but with courses like Business, which usually are more popular because some people just love to do business since they're incapable of choosing another stream of study, there are more courses to choose from than in say, French or Nordic Studies. So essentially, one would be able to choose as compared to IB. And there are multiple professors teaching upto 5/6 different classes per week.

You should talk to a person in your major/minor for college.

Like pre-med students usually have a good schedule in mind for the 4 years, already furnished by the university to get you where u need to be.

But it can be changed as usual, with any set schedule.

Most schools will give you a general guideline, and then you can triple up the course or trickle down the work load.

Like everyone said, you might find yourself in a course with no homework and one final exam at the end.

It's all really relative, but good information can be found on forums discussing the school and also just visiting the campus, having coffee with a fellow future friend.