Anyone doing DECA?

Just wondering who's doing DECA around here :)

Maybe we could all share tips and ideas on how to succeed?

I joined my school's DECA club for the first time last year, in the Buying and Merchandising category. Didn't take it seriously at all, bs'd my way past regionals, and completely failed at provincials. ;)

What about you guys? Any really successful people who've made it to internationals here?

Wow, really?

Maybe it's because we're from different countries - different continents actually! :blink:

I thinkDECA was started by the U.S.... maybe that's why it's more popular in North America? All the schools I know take it really seriously. Some of them have special DECA textbooks, and collections of case studies. It's pretty intense. :D

• 2 months later...

I'm in Toronto,

DECA's semi-serious in our school. We dont really do any official preparations, but our school does pretty well.

Probably cuz all of our members take Economics and we are taught alot of the concepts there.

I'd say the experience is amazing and definitely worth it.

Last year was my first year (made it to provincials and got a random top 20 performance medal (no ICDC though)) and im going again this year (gr11)

Good luck

DECA is awesome! I did it last year and got top 10 for Regionals, but nothing from Provincials :(

I'm applying to do it again this year! Hopefully I can go to ICDC :)

Did you do roleplays or written events? I'm not sure what I want to do this year. Apparently if you do a written event, you have a better chance of going to ICDC, but I'm not entirely sure.

Basically you do an oral part: where you are given a specific case and you try to think of creative solutions in 10 minutes. Druing those 10 minutes you can take down notes and write out your ideas (not allowed notes from home though). Then you go meet wiht your judge (who's gonna roleplay as the company's manager) and you have 10 minutes to present your solution to the case you're given. After your presentation, the judge will ask 3 questions to test your understanding of your topic.

There is also a written part, whcih is a 90 minute exam where you answer 100 multiple choice questions related to your section. Taking economics really helps for this part XD

so... uea

provincials=same thing+more intense+an extra oral presentation

ICDC (nationals)... well I wouldn't know XD

Yea I heard writtne is easier too. But that's probably because there's less people doing htat, so there's less competition.

• 3 months later...

You can also do team events, where you have 2 people and you have 30 mins. to prepare your roleplay as opposed to 10 and you have 15 mins. to present.

You can do written events as well, where you write either a 30-page or 11-page report (depends on your chosen category). Some of the options are pretty cool, like developing a fashion merchandising promotion plan for a store, or a business plan for starting your own business. You can do your event with 1-3 people (again, depending on your category). You then present this to a judge who evaluates your presentation. Your written paper is worth 60 points and your presentation is worth 40 (for most events anyways).

I'm doing a written event (Technical Sales Event, to be exact :D) this year. Last year I did QSRM (Quick Serve Restaurant Management). Hoping to go to ICDC :P

What categories are you guys in, btw? Just curious...

Edited by fire.realm