University choices!

Mewmew

Hey everyone!

Whenever I get asked about what university I want to go to, I always get blank in my head since Im not so sure about which good schools are out there. I want to study Journalism/Photography but i don´t know where I want to study and I need to make the decision soon :/

I heard Scotland has some good schools. Any suggestions?

It doesn´t have to be particulary in Scotland...

Good universities in Scotland are St Andrews, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. Scotland may be a good choice for you because EU citizens pay no tuition fees.

When you apply through UCAS, you can choose up to 5 different places. If you can't find enough inetresting schools in Scotland, apply to some in England too. Tuition is about £3400 a year, and courses last 3 years rather than 4 or 5 in Scotland.

Tuiton fees are only free for people who have lived in Scotland for 3 or more years and who have payed taxes over there up until the time they enrol themselves at a University over there. If you're a European citizen you still have to pay although significantly cheaper fees than in England.

Tuiton fees are only free for people who have lived in Scotland for 3 or more years and who have payed taxes over there up until the time they enrol themselves at a University over there. If you're a European citizen you still have to pay although significantly cheaper fees than in England.

EU Students get free tuition, and English students pay somewhere between the £1000 and £2000 mark.

EU Students get free tuition, and English students pay somewhere between the £1000 and £2000 mark.

IB Grad

Why would English people have to pay since they're also European citizens?

Is it something to do with the Schengen law?

Edited by Bishup

IB Grad

What does Schengen have to do with anything? It's the way the Scottish Laws of Subsidisation work. I'm neither European nor Scottish nor English so I can't explain, but bear in mind that Scotland is a different country to England and they have their own laws, even their own currency.

FYI:

http://www.external.stir.ac.uk/undergrad/financial_info/scottish/tuition_fees.php

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2005/aug/11/highereducation.accesstouniversity

Please make a new thread if you want to continue this discussion further.

Are you interested in US schools?..

Cause I have a Newsweek Magazine that classifies careers, and puts top 3-5 colleges under the job title.

Let me know. Only US though.

Yes sure why not? Im interested in anything right now :)

Good universities in Scotland are St Andrews, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. Scotland may be a good choice for you because EU citizens pay no tuition fees.

When you apply through UCAS, you can choose up to 5 different places. If you can't find enough inetresting schools in Scotland, apply to some in England too. Tuition is about £3400 a year, and courses last 3 years rather than 4 or 5 in Scotland.

Thanks! I´ll take a look into them ^_^

Edited by Aboo
Don't double post.

I am just a pre DP student but I have already thought about universities where I could go after the IB. After all IB is just my passport to university and I want to know what they requires from me so I have some kind of objective to go for.

I have been thinking about UK. It seems to be a damn good place to study in. Oxbridge sounds good, but their requirements are pretty high so I've been thinking about The University of Edinburgh. Seems to be a nice place. You should check their web site.

No, it's got something to do with discrimination. EU laws say citizens must be treated as equals, so whatever benefits the Scottish government offers to Scottish students, they must offer to other EU citizens too. However, England, Wales and NI are an exception to this rule since they're all under one nation, Great Britain, and thus the EU law allows the Scots to charge British non-Scots money for uni. It's stupid, really.

• Like 1