Shall I choose IB?

mihau

Hi,

I'm starting IB1 in September. I chose Polish A1 HL, English B HL, French B HL, Math SL, Biology SL, Geography SL. Unfortunately, French B HL group won't be created so I have to choose History, Geography, Economics or Biology on HL. I won't really need these subjects in my future. The only one subject which WOULD be necessary is history. I don't know what to do - choose History, Geography or Economics on HL and torture myself with them or just quit IB and pass a regular high school diploma ? And which one above-mentioned subject is the easiest to pass in IB?

I was so happy when I got into IB and now I don't know what to do because of one stupid HL subject. :)

Edited by mihau

If you say you think you will be needing History than take it because Geography although considerably easy, is so damn boring, in my humblest opinion. I advise you take History because it's an enjoyable course and because it's said to come quite in handy :).

I take it you wish you could take French B HL? In my school, for instance, Italian, Japanese and Spanish are all one class mixed with HL and SL students. I suggest you ask whether you can still do HL French despite there not being a class specifically. This is very common in many schools. You also asked which subject is easier to pass and the answer is Geography, but I wouldn't every consider taking geography personally but you might want to.

I reckon you enjoy IB and adapt to the workload, I guess most IB students have to. Perhaps you should take History HL? And then drop either Polish, English or French to SL or you could take 4 HL if you feel you're up for it.

All in all I think you should ask your teachers for more information about those courses.

Hope this helps.

I've just got a message from IB Coordinator and she said that I can also choose Psychology on HL instead of History, geography or Economics! I've been thinking about Bachelor Degree in Psychology so Psychology is a subject I will probably choose on HL. :) But can you tell me how hard is psychology to pass in IB?

it's not so hard, my friend got a 7 without putting much effort into it in SL. but that's SL and she was really shocked she got a 7.

I don't know how hard HL is, but most HL subjects are demanding. I wouldn't be too afraid of it. it would be very beneficial to have it on your Uni applications if that is the field you want to go into.

Also quitting IB because you can't take French HL seems a bit lazy to me, though I think of most people who do 3 language as lazy anyway...

You shouldn't do the IB anyway. If I were you, I'd do your normal diploma. Universities will be more familiar with it, it'll be easier, your teachers will know how to teach it better, it'll be less hard work, better planned and generally it won't be the IB.

As to my opinion on those options, however, based on those subjects you listed, I'd go for it based on your strengths. For history it helps if you're good at english (i.e. you find it very easy to write essays) and for economics it's important you have a reasonable grasp of maths. Well, not essential, but it's going to be easier if you're wired up as a more mathematical sort of person, if you get what I mean. Most of us are either mathematical or... not :) I'd also have to comment that by all reports, Geography was almost brutally boring for the IB. So I'd go for either Economics or History dependent on the sort of aptitudes and interests you have. Both are reasonably difficult - neither is a doss subject.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='mihau' date='Jun 26, 2009 - 12:53' timestamp='1246020804' post='50875']
Hi,
I'm starting IB1 in September. I chose Polish A1 HL, English B HL, French B HL, Math SL, Biology SL, Geography SL. Unfortunately, French B HL group won't be created so I have to choose History, Geography, Economics or Biology on HL. I won't really need these subjects in my future. The only one subject which WOULD be necessary is history. I don't know what to do - choose History, Geography or Economics on HL and torture myself with them or just quit IB and pass a regular high school diploma ? And which one above-mentioned subject is the easiest to pass in IB?
I was so happy when I got into IB and now I don't know what to do because of one stupid HL subject. :D
[/quote]

Well, if you want to go the "easy" when then do the high school diploma (which I think is easier though I don't know coz I'm not from America). This might also give you the option just to do the subjects you want to do?? (that's how it works with A-Levels)
Otherwise, the IB Diploma is more or less a "general diploma", covering quite a few areas of which you won't necessarily need many in your future. So it doesn't really matter what subjects - that you won't need - you take. But if you know that you want to do something where it would be beneficial to have studied this or that subject - in your case history - then you should of course take it.

Edit: Sorry, have just noticed that this thread is quite old and that might post might not be relevant anymore... !?

Edited by bLub