Fellow Canadians - Are you planning to use your IB HL credits for university?

greaterthaninfinity

Most of the seniors from my high school are apparently just abandoning their IB credits in favour of "repeating" the course in university so that they can boost up their GPAs.

I'm just wondering if this is common in other Canadian high schools or is it just mine?

So, yeah - are you guys planning to transfer your IB credits over or not? And does anyone know how this would affect your cGPA at the end of your freshman uni year? And if you're applying for postgrad education, how would they calculate the cGPA if you're using your IB credits? :|

I'm probably going to take my Geo credits. I've heard from friends, currently in university doing the same courses, that there are new things learned in university in respect to Chemistry and Biology. So chances are I'm not going to take those credits because I'm going into Sciences.

I did (going into my second year of uni this fall).

I took the credits for HL English and economics but not chemistry because I'm in a science program and wanted to take first year science. Good thing I did, there's quite a bit of new stuff that I didn't learn in IB that I would've missed out on otherwise.

And it didn't affect my GPA, all it did was give me 12 units, so now I need 12 units less to graduate from my program.

i took credits for english (2 courses), french (2 courses), history (2 courses) and chem (2 courses)

however, i did do a filler course for chem during my first semester at uni so that i would learn the new things not covered in AP/IB

also, the fact that i have 8 courses already done means i'm 2 courses away from having one year done at uni... so i decided to take a history and political science course this summer (eeep!) to round out a year. that means in the fall i will be considered a 3rd year student based on credits i've received.

Edited by Ashika

i was going to take my credits if I did good, but after talking to some university students I decided that I would only take my crdeit of English or something because I don't plan to major in that. Then I have my mandatory English credit and can focus on sciences. As well, then with first year univeristy courses in likek say chemistry I know some of the stuff so I can get used to the actual way of teaching rather than the stuff being taught. I was told that this would make adapting to university life easier.

I'm thinking that if I receive a 6 or 7 in English (which likely will occur...I have my fingers crossed), I'll use that credit. Since my schedule is going to be ridiculously full with chemistry and biology, being able to take that credit to free up some time will be quite helpful.

I'll have no need to use my physics or history marks, considering I'm not continuing on with either of those subjects. I'd like nothing more than to keep taking history courses, but alas. No time. XD

I'll have no need to use my physics or history marks, considering I'm not continuing on with either of those subjects. I'd like nothing more than to keep taking history courses, but alas. No time. XD

I kept credits for courses I'll no longer do... it's a good way to get all your electives done!

If anything, you should take credits for the courses you'll never do again, as opposed to the ones you plan on doing more of XD

Edited by Ashika

I kept credits for courses I'll no longer do... it's a good way to get all your electives done!

If anything, you should take credits for the courses you'll never do again, as opposed to the ones you plan on doing more of :P

That's actually a really good point. Never thought about it that way. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do ALL universities allow IB students to transfer credits while at university in Canada or is it just selected universities that recognize IB?

I believe most of them do. I know for sure all the unis that I looked at do: the major Ontario unis plus a couple other big unis in Canada(UBC, Mcgill, U of Ottawa etc). However, some of them only accept certain courses at HL for transfer credits, and have a list of acceptable IB courses that may be applied towards a uni credit. I think it was Queen's that didn't accept English HL for transfer cred.