Pre-IB and already spooked o.o

xJasmine

Hey all. -Bows- I am humbled to be in the presence of such smart people. :P

Call me Jasmine, and I'm going to Gr. 9 in September into Pre-IB. I'm already scared as heck, because I know practically NOTHING about the IB program, and hardly anyone has ever stopped to explain to me in real life. I almost missed my chance to be in IB, and would have, if my teacher hadn't brought it up... I took the test and made it in.

I registered for an account here today and after scanning through a few threads I realized I really understand NOTHING. I could hardly make out what you guys are talking about... So if anyone could be so kind, this newbie has a few questions.

1) What's with the exams? And when would I have to take them?

2) Do people in IB have to give up on social life? ((I'm sorry, but it had to be asked...))

3) Do you get teased in your school for being in IB?

4) Do the majority of Pre-IB students drop out or is kicked out in Grade 11 as rumored?

I'm sorry for troubling you guys. Some of you may look down on me for not being in actual IB, and I'd understand that. I guess I just don't know what to expect from you... Freakishly... Smart people...

Thanks for taking the time. :D

-Jasmine

Haha, you are hilarious :D, you're only 14/15..im guessing. :D

You dont have to worry about this at all, lol. This is the diploma program as Aboo said, you are not even pre-IB yet so if I were you, I would be like "**** this ****, too early for it". Enjoy your life woman! :P

Come back here when you're in IBDIPLOMA PROGRAMME, by then you will be familiar with all this. :D

Cheers!

I don't think many people here did any sort of pre-IB course. Most of us just did our normal national courses (e.g. GCSEs) and then turned up into the Diploma Programme. As a consequence I don't think many people here could really be very helpful, as other people have said, until you've made it a little bit further along. Do your best in pre-IB to understand everything is all I can really advise you to do ;)

If your questions are aimed at the Diploma programme (for people aged 16-18), you take the exams usually at the end of the 2 years, yes you will give up a social life unless you literally come home, work solidly and go out without relaxing, nope you probably won't get teased because you'll be with all the other IB people and will become intimidating aaaand I've no clue about the last one XD

Are you Canadian???

There's not much difference between Pre-IB and the normal academic course, aside from the fact that the students taking Pre-IB are slightly more competitive. Course-load wise, you'll maybe take one or two grade 11 courses in your grade 10 year (I took math 11 and history 11) but it's a normal progression... the transition is gradual and provided you actually work, you'll fare fine. Which leads me to my next point: yes, you can have a social life if you want to. Only around internal assessment/exam time do you need to get down and really work.

If you don't understand some of the terms, that's fine. You're not supposed to at this point. That's what Pre-IB is for. After 2 years of Pre-IB, if you feel you're not suited for IB, just switch to the normal program. You'll be ahead in one or two courses but other than that, there's no difference.

Don't worry about it right now, I never figured out the whole IB program and what it entails until grade 11 when I actually went into IB lol.

Pre-IB is really no different from the normal academic stream, only difference at my school was that we learned some grade 10 math in grade 9, and did both grade 10 and grade 11 math while in grade 10. That was it.

I'm with the everyone else here...you have nothing to worry about. Pre-IB is meant to ease you into the programme, and essentially isn't much different from "regular" courses. You may be expected to do some additional things that others that aren't in Pre-IB may not have to do (at least, that's what occurred in my school), but it won't be overwhelming in the least.

If you're really freaking out, you can always read the official IB website to become familiar with terms and whatnot. However, I'm just going to repeat Maha and tell you to ENJOY YOUR LIFE! ;) You'll be fine. Trust me.

I agree with people that you shouldn't be too worried. But, I'm just finishing a pretty rigorous Pre-IB program at my school so maybe I can be of more help to you. The Pre-IB program was competitive with only 100 slots, while students who already attend as it's their home school have the option of being in the MYP program. Depending on the structure of the program, it might be more challenging than "regular" classes, but remember, the point is to prepare you for the IB. It'll be about transitional and hopefully will make entering high school and then later the Diploma Program less stressful.

• 3 weeks later...

2) Do people in IB have to give up on social life? ((I'm sorry, but it had to be asked...))

4) Do the majority of Pre-IB students drop out or is kicked out in Grade 11 as rumored?

Don't stress too much about not knowing everything about IB. Even after graduating, there are some things I still don't understand. Your coordinator and teachers should tell you everything you need to know.

1. Exams are what determines if you get the IB diploma or not. Even if you're not a candidate you can still take exams to get certificates. You usually take these your senior year. SL exams can be taken as a junior, but HL's have to be taken senior year (which is really inconvenient since I took math HL2 as a junior).

2. Only if you let it. I didn't have to give up any of my social life, and if you're efficient will your time you shouldn't have to either.

3. I never got teased, but some of the really nerdy people were teased because they never left their home except for school. Most people were actually envious of us more normal IB folk.

4. Nobody got kicked out at my school, but a lot of people who planned on going for the diploma just went for certificates instead around that time. This was mainly because they didn't want to do an Extended Essay or take an IB math/science class. There were still just as many people taking IB English and History senior year as there were Pre-IB freshman year.

Hey Jasmine!

Welcome to IB world. :P

Our school made us do a pretty rigorous 'Pre-IB' programme for a year. I think the step up from Pre-IB to IB is pretty much like the step from grade ten to eleven work, but if you do any kind of Pre-IB it's definitely going to help you steady yourself for the type of work to come.

1. You take them at the end of grade twelve, so in three years' time?

2. Haha, not as much as you think. I still have some kind of social life, but I do only go out with my friends shopping and stuff on the holidays. There IS a lot of study involved though, don't get me wrong there, though.

3. Our school is all IB, so I wouldn't know!

4. No one gets kicked out from our school, but quite a few left during Pre-IB, and some more are leaving now, halfway through the first year.

Hope this helped!

~Yen-Rong