Who knows stuff about Cornell?

herbert

Hello.

I was wondering if you guys could give me any information you guys had on Cornell, since I have a lot of interest in applying there.

I was also wondering what kind of IB score I would need in order to get in?

Finally, if I were to apply to Cornell, could you see any problems arising if I took Math Studies?

I would like to take something like English Literature or Political Science, and I'm pretty sure that neither one of those involves TOO much math. However, because I heard that a lot of engineering students go to Cornell, I still wonder if it is an issue.

Thanks!

Main thing, if you're applying for any scientific, especially medical course, math studies would immediatly get you off the list.

I dont have much information abut the university as a whole, because I only know about the Medical college and its branch here in the middle east.

EDIT:

oops,, you're applying for political thingies, lol. I dont think you need more than Math St really, seeing that UK Universities dont need moer than that for that type of course.

• Like 1

Hi Herbert.

I applied to the Collage of Arts, Architecture and Planning in Cornell for admission in 2009, so I went around and asked a lot of people about admission requirements and also researched everywhere on the internet for relevant information.

I was also wondering what kind of IB score I would need in order to get in? (38+ including bonus points is a rough estimate, the current students I talked to had IB scores of 40, 41 and 42. However they were international students, and the standard is higher for them, therefore I say 38+.)

Finally, if I were to apply to Cornell, could you see any problems arising if I took Math Studies? (Universities in general would like you to take courses to challenge yourself no matter what your potential major is. If you are ABLE to take Math SL, then please do, as math studies is looked down upon as it is not rigorous enough. Especially for an ivy league school.)

Edited by Forester
  • Like 1

I was admitted to the College of Engineering for 2009, and I pretty much agree with everything Forester said. Even if you are going for politics, if you can take Math SL (and think you can pass it) then you definitely should, because Cornell will definitely want to see that you challenged yourself instead of taking one of the easiest Math courses.

Anyways, I got a 44 in the IB (applied with a 45 predicted) and got in. A friend of mine who applied for admission for 2008 got a 42 (I don't know his predicted grade) and was admitted. Another friend of mine who applied for admission for 2009 got a 39 (applied with a 41 predicted) and was rejected (but his SAT scores were below 1900, I think). However, remember that all of us are international students, and the standards for international students are a bit higher, from what I've heard.

Edited by Redstar
  • Like 1

Well, as far as I know, you'll need somewhere around 40 points to get into Cornell.

Like the others said, it'll be a little harder for international students, but for American ones, it should be normal.

I would recommend you take math SL over studies.

If your really can't cut it, take studies.

Otherwise, it's better to take SL.

• Like 1

Hi Herbert.

I applied to the Collage of Arts, Architecture and Planning in Cornell for admission in 2009, so I went around and asked a lot of people about admission requirements and also researched everywhere on the internet for relevant information.

I was also wondering what kind of IB score I would need in order to get in? (38+ including bonus points is a rough estimate, the current students I talked to had IB scores of 40, 41 and 42. However they were international students, and the standard is higher for them, therefore I say 38+.)

Finally, if I were to apply to Cornell, could you see any problems arising if I took Math Studies? (Universities in general would like you to take courses to challenge yourself no matter what your potential major is. If you are ABLE to take Math SL, then please do, as math studies is looked down upon as it is not rigorous enough. Especially for an ivy league school.)

Thanks!

But two questions:

1. Where did you and those Cornell goers go to highschool?

2. What do you mean by bonus points?

But two questions:

1. Where did you and those Cornell goers go to highschool?

2. What do you mean by bonus points?

1. I think they're halfway across the world, so Australia, NZ, Scandinavian countries, and the like.

2. You can earn a max of 3 bonus points for EE and TOK if you achieve A/A, A/B, or B/A. IB courses have a max of 7 points, so that's 42 points + 3 bonus.

Edited by Irene

I don't really think that high school matters when it comes to admissions. Cornell takes a lot of people from independent and public schools, from all states. I guess some states will be more competitive than others, and also if your high school is uber-pro, then you'd have a lot of competition. That being said, Cornell rejected the high ranking students of one of my friend's school in the States, and accepted the average students. I think Cornell does look for students who "fit" their criteria... of course I do not know exactly what those criteria are, but one can assume them to be having passions, leadership skills, lots of interesting extra-curricular activities, etc. If you have all of that, and your scores are high, then obviously you have a higher chance than your classmates.