Maths Studies' acceptance in UK

Magdalena

Does anybody know if universities mentioned below accept Maths Studies if I am going to apply some humanities (literature, English or film studies).

I tried to contact some of them by email but I did not receive an answer.

Warwick

St Andrews (already failed XD)

Queen Mary

King's College

Kent

Sussex

Thanks for help, omg I think I should have engaged maths SL and I would not have had such a problem right now...

Edited by Magdalena

Listen if you're interesting in pursuing your studies in literature, film studies or English I doubt you need a high level of proficiency in maths. But then again, I think you need to go on the university websites and look up on the course requirements for your desired courses.

The only school in England I am familiar with that requires at least SL math is oxbridge.

From that list, I would say it's probably fine.

For example, a bunch of students from my school are going to King's (on conditional offers) and I know some of them aren't taking mathematics.

Magdalena I get your point but if you think about it, at A levels, people who wish to do the stuff you desire to study do not take maths because they need to dedicate their 3 or 4 subjects which are relevant to what they want to do. Like Matayo14 said I think it's only Oxbridge that requires SL maths and they do this because of the harsh competition I guess since these are top universities.

I applied to the UK with Math Studies and my course is a BA (so arts-orientated rather than science). Chekc UCAS entry profiles for your courses, but unless it specifically says "Maths SL required", it's not. I don't think it is for you, and you can definitely get into Kent and Sussex with Math Studies.

For St. Andrews it says this:

"In addition to the specific subject entry requirements listed above, candidates must also possess the following minimum qualifications, although the Dean of

Faculty has the authority to exempt applicants from one or more of these:...(qualifications)".

So you could be exemp, but don't count on it. If you're applying next for 2010 courses, just don't apply there then. Don't change to SL at this stage, you'll do poorly.

• 2 weeks later...

The only school in England I am familiar with that requires at least SL math is oxbridge.

From that list, I would say it's probably fine.

That isn't entirely true . In my school nearly everyone is doing maths studies and still every year maths studies people get accepted for Oxbridge.