Word count on a history essay.

TJBARU

Recently, for History, we had to write an essay evaluating the role of Churchill, Stalin and Truman in causing the "Cold War". There was no min. or max. word count or even an indication of any sort. Some wrote (and some havent done theirs yet, several days after due grr) 1500 words, and some wrote around 3500. One guy wrote 4800. In order to evaluate these leaders role in causing the conflict, taking note of the effect of their personalities, how many words should I write so as to include all relevant details but exclude any "flannel". I wrote 3900, or thereabouts and feel that whilst some was "flannel", most was relevant and on topic.

Others who have written a similar essay - how many words did you write and was much of this irrelevant?

Is this just a normal essay? 4800 sounds a like a lot for that, unless it's a research project. 1500-2000 words is how long the History IA is expected to be, but I found that too little to write anything substantial. 3900 sounds fine, if you did it in as much detail as you write an EE then I think you're covered. If this was just a practice essay, you could use it as the draft for your EE by the way. You'd save yourself a lot of work as you already have a foundation to build on. Just take out the unnecessary "flannel" and evaluate/analyze more.