Men 'outperformed' at university

Vvi

Comeon...Think about it..

Well look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achievement_gap#Gender_gap

Women get higher grades in all subjects, but Men are clearly better at subjects such as Math, Physics and Chem. SO why are the women getting higher grades in all areas.

If you dont believe that men are better than women at physics, math or chem. Just look at SAT, AP score distributions or any written/contest or competition and you will see the difference.

Comeon...Think about it..

Well look here

http://en.wikipedia...._gap#Gender_gap

Women get higher grades in all subjects, but Men are clearly better at subjects such as Math, Physics and Chem. SO why are the women getting higher grades in all areas.

If you dont believe that men are better than women at physics, math or chem. Just look at SAT, AP score distributions or any written/contest or competition and you will see the difference.

There isn't a single iota of information in that article that points specifically to an innate bias within male teachers, which is the argument that you advanced.

Actually, the article answers your own question. Their findings show that women perform less well on standardized tests, full stop. Your whole "men are better at X, Y and Z" are from standardized test scores (you've mentioned SAT, AP.) Women receive on average a slightly higher GPA because that's not based on standardized testing. Male teacher bias not even mentioned.

I thought according to you, data analysis would be your strong suit? =P

Well you didnt have to get all TOK on me and you do realize im not a guy?

How is data analysis ToK? All I'm saying is that the argument you made is not supported by the evidence that you presented. I suppose it's ToK in that your conclusion doesn't logically follow your own data.

I thought I remembered you having a profile pic, and that you were male. If I'm incorrect I apologize.

Hmm, I'm not sure.. 'studies' like these are interesting and indeed, I like the idea of female empowerment..

But to be honest, I don't like generalizations and throwing big statements around that start with "Most guys..." or "Women generally..."

It's interesting discussing such things, but at the end of the day, I personally believe it comes down to the individual and their culture/the environment in which they grew up in.

I'd say it's very very hard to assert truths about the overall female or male population in regards to their level of intelligence or determination or 'will power'. Especially when such 'evidence' is based upon studies of small communities (in relation to the whole world population) of people or based upon an individual's personal experience with the people that surround them.

I suppose this is all a bit of topic, but ever since I started TOK, hearing big generalizations and such are difficult for me to ignore and accept XD

That's my two cents~

• Like 1