Private Pilot's License

Guest gdubi

Guest gdubi

Hey,

I started taking lessons to obtain my private pilot's license not too long ago. So far, it is only theoretical (class-room learning), so I was wondering what you guys thought of this. Does it count as creativity or not?

My coordinator says "Hmmm I don't know" but then I reminded her of how she allowed people to learn how to play the flute for CAS. Essentially, isn't learning the flute the same as learning how to fly? You are getting an experience and learning a new skill.

Any input would be great!

Thanks

Haha :P I suggest asking the IB coordinator, not the CAS coordinator... he has more experience.

Honestly, I would say it counts for creativity. It's outside of school, you're learning something (and I know you get hours for learning a language, so it's similar).

:)

There was a thread on this maybe a year ago, and I am absolutely jealous of you for doing that. It should count for creativity as you're learning a new skill. You should finish the PPL by the time you complete CAS or set goals for yourself to accomplish.

• 3 weeks later...

But when you play the flute, you interpret the music and can be creative. I don't think you should be that creative while flying...

You can always go for tricks. That will count as creativity. Imagine your note in CAS diary: 'Today, I hoped to do a doughnut in the air and then land down on the side of a cliff. I wasn't really successful, because the plane crashed and I barely managed to stay alive thanks to the parachute. Next time, I'll not crash (I promise)'.

Wouldn't that be fun? :P

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it can count for creativity since playing instruments and stuff in my school is the primary way people attain creativity hours. And also the fact that you are learning something new helps your activity in qualifying as a creativity activity in my opinion. But just beware that every school does it differently but since your coordinator sound clueless, i guess you should be fine to go.

• 8 months later...

I managed to get my PPL completely sponsored through the Royal Canadian Air Cadets. I remember picking up a paycheck right after breaking the nose wheel of a Cessna-150 because of a flare that came a few seconds too late. :D

I've managed to convince my CAS coordinator that it counts for creativity by deviating from the CARS (Canadian Air Regulations) in order to achieve set goals such as minimal fuel consumption between point A & B (Turned out to be a bad idea, ultra lean mixture at Angels 2 + carb icing conditions = D:), or proposing different sweep patterns for civil fire patrols. I'm not sure how strict civil air regulations are in Switzerland, but you CAN be creative.

(Fun fact: For the majority of land-based single-engine aircraft, attempting an off-field landing is much, much safer than cheesing it with a parachute.)

Edited by smackimus