Spanish Civil War IA

emmiez

Hey

For my IA, I really wanted to research on the spanish civil war, and I picked the book 'Homage to Catalonia' by George Orwell... but now I'm a bit stuck with what aspect of the war to explore...

Has anyone read the book or learnt the spanish civil war and can give me some tips?

The problem for me is that I haven't actually learnt about the war yet so it's all quite new to me...

Thanks

Um well I haven't read the book...But I have studied it...First I think you should decide if you want to look at the causes, the war itself, or the effects. You could compare the weapons the Nationalists had with the ones the Republic had?

Or...how the Soviets helped the Republic?

I'm just giving a few ideas here..The spanish civil war is hard because..well it's better to choose a more obscure topic..so maybe my ideas aren't so good...

sorry this isn't very helpful:S

That sounds like a good IA question, "to what extent" and "cause" questions are good in general and conclusions are easy to write, and the topic is narrow enough. Remember to use more than just that one book as your source though. Get historians' opinions and use primary sources too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've studied the Spanish civil war.

If you have any questions, send me a message or something.

The book "For whom the Bells Toll" is also centered around the Spanish Civil war- I recommend you read it, as it is one of my favorite books and actually shaped the way I think.

Well, if I were you, I would think if I could further narrow down the question. Perhaps instead of asking to what extent were their internal problems responsible for their defeat, I would concentrate on some factor causing the internal problems (for example political differences and Soviet intervention troubling the anarchists). This is because as such your question is rather broad for an IA.