history help!

m20

hello, i need some help.. ive recently done my history external and i messed up a question n paper 2 i was of topic. on one question i did fine but on the other i didnt, it was completely off topic. i got for my ia a predicted of 4 and i did really well in p1 so is it possible that although i messed up in paper 2 i can still get good grades as in a 5 or above?

That can't be right because 45%+25%+20%= 90%. Paper 1 must be worth more.

I'm not happy about it either because I think I did better on Paper 1 than 2 (no way of knowing though, can't even remember what I wrote for Paper 2 since I ran out of time and didn't have time to proof-read).

Yeah, you will get maybe five marks for writing an essay at all. You will also have the marks for the other essay, so it's not like it's a N mark or anything. But you will have lost 15+ points out of forty, which... can't be good, to be honest. I don't know exactly what the boundaries are, but there is a thread about it somewhere on here.

If you are SL, Paper 1 is worth 30%, Paper 2 is worth 45%, and your IA is worth 25%.

(HL: P1 20%, P2 25%, P3 35%, IA 20%)

So assuming you're in SL, and your get a 4 on your IA (9-11 marks out of 20), you only need to get 30 more marks or so to get a 5. According to the M08 mark bands, you only need about 48% of the available marks to scrape a 5. This means that you need about 41 marks total. You should be fine mark wise. On paper 2, a horribly generalized essay can earn you five marks, so if you did two terrible essays you may only get 10 marks on paper 2 (a low 3). But if you did well on paper one (20 marks) then you'll still get your 5.

To get a 4, you only need about 31 marks, so as long as you weren't completely useless on your exam, you should be fine and pass. It takes a lot to fail history, you'll be fine.