[PHYSICS]The Bohr Model

Eyas

I've checked the syllabus multiple times and the bohr model of the hydrogen atom seems to be removed, along with the derivations of Bohr's equations. Can anyone confirm this? (I see a lot of questions in past papers, and the Summary of Syllabus changes in the TSM says that the Nuclear and Quantum physics chapters are "mostly unchanged").

BTW, I'm HL.

I just checked the syllabus (again). It seems it was there in the previous syllabus (topic 12) where it explicitly states the Bohr model. The entire set of points corresponding to the Bohr models have been removed from the syllabus and instead only "describe the motion of electrons in terms of the electron-in-a-box model" (which includes the quantization of E_k of electrons based on n^2, but doesn't include specifics about the Bohr model itself).

I just checked the syllabus (again). It seems it was there in the previous syllabus (topic 12) where it explicitly states the Bohr model. The entire set of points corresponding to the Bohr models have been removed from the syllabus and instead only "describe the motion of electrons in terms of the electron-in-a-box model" (which includes the quantization of E_k of electrons based on n^2, but doesn't include specifics about the Bohr model itself).

I've never understood the electron-in-a-box-model, so what its connection with the Bohr model? :P

Edited by Tilia

The electron in a box model is the idea that the electron is a wave inside a box, and can only have energy such that it would oscillate therein.

In terms of the bohr model, the levels at which electrons orbit the nucleus represent these discrete kinetic energies, since the laws of orbital motion state that the orbital radius is porportional to the kinetic energy, which we have seen to be discrete.

• 2 weeks later...

The electron in a box model is the idea that the electron is a wave inside a box, and can only have energy such that it would oscillate therein.

In terms of the bohr model, the levels at which electrons orbit the nucleus represent these discrete kinetic energies, since the laws of orbital motion state that the orbital radius is porportional to the kinetic energy, which we have seen to be discrete.

What does the electron in a box show? Is it simply an analogy for the Bohr model?

The electron in a box model justifies the bohr model by showing that it's possible for electrons to orbit the nucleus without constantly losing energy, because the electrons have discrete energy levels which correspond to orbital radii. Essentially it's an explanation for why the bohr model and energy levels actually exist.