Korean War

Panserborne

OK, last minute cramming for the exam tomorrow. One thing I've been wondering is how important/ how relevant the 1943 Cairo Conference was (where the US, UK and China agreed that Korea would be made independent and unified after Japan's defeat). Because I have one textbook basically saying Stalin must have been the biggest factor in causing the Korean war, as he declared war on Japan just before Japan surrendered, in order to gain influence in Korea. So the implication is he screwed over all the brilliant plans for peace made in that conference. BUT, then I read other sources about the causes of the Korean war, and they don't even mention it! On wikipedia, there's no real mention of the Cairo Conference in relation to the Korean war.... I don't know what to think.

Anyone who's studying this topic, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

I've heard of the Cairo conference, but I think a bigger factor in causing the war was the fact that Stalin was arming North Korea, and that when Korea was divided after the defeat of Japan in WWII the USSR spread its communist ideology in the north. The USSR encouraged the North to invade the South by arming them.