Pre- IB students

RBST

Hello,

I'm a new member, and will be an IB student after doing my IGCSE's in May..

I would like to have an idea about what you think about subjects, I'm in two minds

these days , trying to decide what subjects to do.

For now, these are the subjects I'm thinking about:

Chemistry (HL)

Physics (HL)

Mathematics (HL)

A1- Arabic (SL)

Language2 - English (SL)

and I don't have any idea about what to choose for the third group (Individuals and societies)

cuz I haven't done any of these subjects in my IGCSE.

and I have a question about the fourth group, because I want to do biology but I don't know how!

I thought that doing psychology would be a good idea if i don't do biology..

What do you think, i really need your help and your advice...

Thanks.. :)

I recommend you do History as your humanity since plenty of people do it, it's stimulating and more interesting that the other subjects and you'll be able to get help on this website. Do you want to do engineering or something? Because if you are Physics and Maths are only needed and not chemistry as well I don't think. In that case, unless your passionate about chemistry or your target university asks for it, I recommend you take a 3rd language instead, which would be the easier choice in my opinion.

PS: I'm also doing GCSEs although in England not internationally.

Chemistry (HL)

Physics (HL)

Mathematics (HL)

A1- Arabic (SL)

Language2 - English (SL)

Unless you're a super genius dont ever think of taking chem phys and math HL, I would personally call that insanity. :)

Do not look at it from an IGCSE POV (as extended chem,phys and math) trust me the difference between the HL and SL in these subjects are HUGE, honestly, dont take those THREE at higher. Math HL is very demanding and it requires constant hard work (I dont take HL, but I see my friends suffering). Take english A2 HL instead of SL, the difference isnt much, and seeing you're comfortably doing IGCSE you wont find difficulty in A2 HL.

Seriously, If I were in your place, I would re-consider my HLs. A guy in my class has those three subjects and he's suffering, note that he was one of the top in IGCSE with, chem,phys,math and bio EXTENDED.

To be honest with you, unless you want to do physics or something, take Biology. If you're good at it, take it as HL. Biology SL is quite easy if you understand concepts, a lot of easy topics. That's my advise.

Maybe you're considering Medecine, in which case I would say take Bio and Chemistry HL.

So yeah, thats my opinion. I would say change Physics to SL, didnt take physics, but HL is one of the hardest along with A1 english HL.

As for the group 3, the easiest you can take I guess it ITGS, if your school offers that. Business is full of memorizing, i took it in IGCSE and it wasnt nice. :) Islamic History doesnt exist anymore, so thats a pity. ITGS would be good if you have taken ICT in IGCSE.

If you find biology stimulating at all, take it. I'm doing Bio HL, and it's not a bad course. It's not my favorite subject, but it can be really interesting. Also, I love finding connections among biology, chemistry, and physics. They really are interdisciplinary, and if you take Biology, it might be able to help you with one of your physics options in a year or two.

At my school, everyone is forced to take history. If I had the choice, I'd pick economics because I'm interested in the field. The most important thing, which I'm sure you already know, is to be satisfied with your courses.

My IBO teacher was pressuring me into taking psychology, but I knew I wouldn't like it, so I persistently told him I wanted to do physics and chemistry instead. It's all about self-motivation :)

I recommend you do History as your humanity since plenty of people do it, it's stimulating and more interesting that the other subjects and you'll be able to get help on this website. Do you want to do engineering or something? Because if you are Physics and Maths are only needed and not chemistry as well I don't think. In that case, unless your passionate about chemistry or your target university asks for it, I recommend you take a 3rd language instead, which would be the easier choice in my opinion.

PS: I'm also doing GCSEs although in England not internationally.

I'd suggest something easier like Econ SL, actually. There is a lot to memorize in History, and if it's not relevant to your future career choice(s), it's simply not worth it unless you have an interest in the subject and you plan on pursuing it for its intellectual merit.

Your HL choices are manageable provided you work for it. You're probably more maths/sciences inclined anyway so you'll be fine. :)

Thank you all for ur response, this is really appreciated :)

Yes, I'm a science person and I think doing a third language would most probably

be a disaster! :)

I think eco SL would be better than psychology... (but not history!......I'm very bad in memorising things)

Ok, maybe I have to think again about doing Chemistry, Physics and Maths (HL)....

Thank u all again! This was very useful :)

• 2 weeks later...