No Reference Allowed?

micmac

My Grade 11 english teacher seems to expect us to write our world lit. without the use of the books. We read them, took notes as we did, and then he collected them. How are we supposed to write a compare-contrast essay from a set of notes on books I read months ago? The funniest bit is that he suggested amazon.ca to get our quotes. AMAZON.CA! Does anyone see a problem with that!? I sure do! The "quotations" are only about ten to twelve words cut from the scentence and even then, the damned quotations are riddled with spelling mistakes. On top of all that, the page numbers are off so don't even think about using them!

I really hope that nobody else has to go through this because if this is the IB way, it is a major flaw in the essay writing process. Maybe if we were told that the notes were all we'd be writing our world lits from, we could have tried to prepare, but we were only told afterwards, when we were only taking notes on specific (VERY SPECIFIC) parts of the second novel. This essay is gonna be really fun to write.

Now, wallow in my misery! I command it of you!

My Grade 11 english teacher seems to expect us to write our world lit. without the use of the books. We read them, took notes as we did, and then he collected them. How are we supposed to write a compare-contrast essay from a set of notes on books I read months ago? The funniest bit is that he suggested amazon.ca to get our quotes. AMAZON.CA! Does anyone see a problem with that!? I sure do! The "quotations" are only about ten to twelve words cut from the scentence and even then, the damned quotations are riddled with spelling mistakes. On top of all that, the page numbers are off so don't even think about using them!

I really hope that nobody else has to go through this because if this is the IB way, it is a major flaw in the essay writing process. Maybe if we were told that the notes were all we'd be writing our world lits from, we could have tried to prepare, but we were only told afterwards, when we were only taking notes on specific (VERY SPECIFIC) parts of the second novel. This essay is gonna be really fun to write.

wow, that kind of sucks.

my teacher never gave out class sets, we're required to buy all of our books ourselves. it's kind of annoying because i've probably spent $160 on books that i didn't even want this year. but it's kinda nice bieng able to highlight and make notes all over them

so i'd suggest buying them if you can, you could probably get them cheap secondhand.

or you could check the library. even if they don't have it, some libraries will get it from somewhere else if you request it.

if that's not an option, ask your teacher if you could come by outside of class to get the quotes you need if he won't let you take them home.

hope this helps

Edited by ibapiggie

What the hell? :yes: Why would your schools do that? Why? WHY? Seriously. That's one of the crappiest practices I've ever heard an IB school do and trust me I've heard quite a few. It's not right. You HAVE to have the books there with you to write it properly. even if you can get quotes off internet, they would be out of context and you can't choose them.

Of course you may have to give them back when you finish reading but surely you can take them out again? I mean, you probably read it in Sem1 Year 1 and don't end up doing the WL until year 2. :yawn: You wouldn't know what you'd do for your WL to take notes on when you read the book. Your teacher is stupid. Sorry. Offense intended.

My ONE and ONLY advice....go complain...take the syllabus and the evidence and show him/her. This is like taking you straight to 1s and 2s like Elsa said, seriously..i dont get this.

If that didnt work talk to IBO in anyway or any authority over your school. This teacher will be banned from teaching IB ever again. This happened to one of the english teachers(banning that is). Or talk to IBCoordinator, he will be also penalised if this got to the IBO and her refused to do anything about it when you told him.

If neither of those didnt work, then just get the books elsewhere and completely ignore the teachers.

Dont keep quiet on this, this is your grade!!!!! your future!