Complementary Options for Chemistry + Biology?

Asterix

My chemistry teacher chose to do Further Organic and enviromental. I hate enviromental and im going into a

medical field as-well, so i'm doing self study of the 'human biochemistry'. The fact that you're doing biology HL is

going to be a major advantage for you. Im May 09 and im doing it now, trust me you will love it. Also it will be more

than helpful in University in the beginning because its kind of a bit advanced over biology HL as in it gives you the

chemical explanation. Studying this helped me in organic chemistry and biology HL.

You're allowed to do that btw, as in, allowed to pass an exam on an option you studied on your own, no one can

stop you. If you really dont like enviromental dont pass the exam on it.

Same goes for Biology. My teacher chose to do Further Physiology (which i love) and microbes & biotechnology,

which i dont like much. If you think you can do neurobiology and behaviour, go ahead, honestly i strongly

encourage you. In fact, if you can get a tutor at the last period before the exam to make sure you're doing

everything correctly it will be great.

No one can force you to do the exam on something the teacher has taught you. So go ahead with your options. :D

Yeah well thats encouraging. My only deterrent was the freqeutnly occuring statement in the examiners reports "Those students who deviated from the centre option generally got substancially lower marks."

Anyway, ive decided to self study the following options:

Biology HL:

Option E: Neurology and Behaviour

Option H: Further Physiology

Chemistry SL:

Option B: Biochemistry

Option D: Medicines and Drugs

Glancing over the syllabus it seems these four options intertwine the best. If anyone has any other recommendations or thoughts on complementary options that may assist in medicine let me know!

We are taking Evolution (Option D) and Neurobiology and Behaviour (Option E) in Biology.

In Chemistry, we are taking Chemistry in Industry and Technology (Option C) and Environmental Chemistry (Option E).

I personally like the options in Biology (opposite of you, I would say. XD ) but I don't like the Chemistry options...

I heard that in some schools, students can choose for themselves. Just pity that we don't have it like that in our case.

i do higher level chem and we get to choose our options between drugs and med, environmental, chemical industries and human bio chem

im doing drugs n med and environmental because drugsnmed is interesting and environ is straight forward. i dont do biology so biochem seems too difficult and chemindustries does not appeal at all ! haha :)

I am currently doing 'human biochemistry' and 'drugs and medicine'. Human biochemistry is easy enough. Drugs and medicine is suicide. You have to know the most minute details.

By the way, I do not take biology.

wow haha i am the complete opposite, i thought biochem was lots of detail and hard to comprehend, while drugs and med was not too bad! hmm hah i guess its because im interesttd in drugs and med it makes it easier to learn. and i dont do bio either haha interesting :)