OliviaLiv

Hello!

I am applying for unis in the US and Canada. I just finished the first semester of my senior year. This second semester will be all about finals. I am taking Physics, Math AA and English A lang lit at HL; and taking Spanish A lang lit, chem and geography at SL. 

Ever since the IB started, I have not been the good student I used to be and rather failed at like most things. I now want to clean my act, get myself together and study like I used to before in order to ace the finals. 

I was considering to take a gap year (but not travel) because I would like to apply to colleges with my final grades but my father didn't allow that and told me that I had to apply now... 

I just have no motivation to keep going now because I feel that it is all over. Even if I work hard and get a really good final IB grade, that won't even matter... 

By any chance, are there unis that allow you to apply with final ib grades without having to take a gap year or something similar? If I get rejected, can I make an appeal with my improved ib grades? Or how can I convince my father to wait a year? He is a very stubborn and traditional man so it is really hard. 

I just feel hopeless and helpless now... Can someone please give me some guidance?

Thank you very much for your time! 

I'm sorry that you're feeling overwhelmed and hopeless. It's understandable to feel this way, especially during the stressful time of preparing for final exams and applying to universities. It can be difficult to balance the pressure of doing well on your exams with the added stress of applying to universities, but it's important to remember that you have the ability to do well and that your final grades do matter.

To answer your question, some universities may allow you to apply with your final IB grades, but it's important to check with the specific universities you are interested in to see if they have this option. It's also possible to appeal a rejection from a university with your improved IB grades, but again, it's best to check with the specific university to see if this is an option.

As for convincing your father to wait a year, it may be helpful to have a conversation with him about your concerns and explain why you feel that taking a gap year would be beneficial for you. It could also be helpful to present him with information about the potential benefits of taking a gap year, such as the opportunity to gain additional experiences or to further prepare for university. It may also be helpful to seek the support of a counselor or trusted adult who can help facilitate the conversation and provide additional guidance.

Remember, it's important to take care of yourself and prioritize your well-being during this stressful time. Make sure to set aside time to rest, relax, and engage in activities that bring you joy. It's also important to reach out for help if you need it. There are resources available to support you, such as school counselors, tutors, and study groups.

I hope this information is helpful and that you are able to find a solution that works for you. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions or concerns.