Psychology Opinons

HJ:)

psychology is NOT easy!!

its alot of work. but if your interested in it, then obviously its not going to be as painful.

personally i love it. but then again i would much prefer to do this then history or economics.

(ps. this is my first post :P )

Edited by memski

My school just told me that i could take psychology instead all those stupid geography or history.

But i'm not pretty sure if i should take it - i mean is it kind of a 'real subject'?

how woulf they treat me while recruiting student to university?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our school doesn't have Psychology and I really want to take it :P but too bad for me *sob

Anyways I just want to hears some opinions on Psychology and what you actually learn in the class. :(

I didn't have psychology in IB, but I'm planning on taking psychiatry specialty in medicine. From my point of view, this is an interesting science that deals with a little-known part of human - the brain. And I want to be the one, that will unravel much more of this secret for the humanity.

I find that psychology is interesting but by no means easy. There is quite a lot to learn and applying the information into essays is the hardest part. However, as long as you do enough reading and actually take the time to understand the information instead of cramming, you shouldn't have any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

If my school had offered it for IB, then I think I would have taken it. Unfortunately, they don't, and I had to choose Business and Management because I'm terrible at all the other humanities. However, I don't think it is the most helpful subject because the only thing it is good for is when someone is going into that field (Health), whereas the other humanities open up more doors. That's what I think...

Do you mean a new syllabus starting for students doing the exams in May 2011? Because I am a November 2010 candidate, so I started IB in 2009, but in Psychology there hasn't been any mention of this new syllabus and we are starting the learning perspective next week...so it doesn't seem like what you have described there.

Where did you find out about the new syllabus?

Hi! I'm a May 2010 candidate therefore following the old syllabus.

I believe 2011 candidates will be following the new syllabus which has been developed by an excellent psych teacher whose site all psych students keep using for studying (I'm sure even you do- and if you don't check it out a.s.a.p.)

This ( http://www.ibo.org/diploma/assessment/subjectoutlines/documents/d_3_psych_gui-out_0902_1_e.pdf ) says first examinations are in 2011. You're a 2010 candidate, right?

You are following the old syllabus then. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a November 2010 candidate and I can assure you we're doing the old/current syllabus :P

In regards to my opinion on Psychology: I find that it's a really interesting subject that can be applied to many of my other subjects, especially English, Bio, TOK & a bit in Eco. I find it annoying when they insist that it is a natural science, equal to Bio/chem/physics when it's not (in my opinion). Can they not just deal with being a social science that uses the scientific method in testing hypotheses? I agree there are some similarities with Psych and the Natural sciences, although to me, it should just stay in the social science category! :P

I always wonder why the boundaries for a 7 in psych are so low... Is it because the art of writing the exams in psych are harder? / Or because it's harder in that you can't JUST regurgitate knowledge, you must do evaluation too?

:(

P.S: Psych isn't just for those wanting to go into health, it's great if you want to do business etc! Depending on the uni you apply for, if you've done IB Psych and attained a certain grade (normally a 6/7 in HL) you can skip 1st year courses and get ahead :)

Edited by Matthew Sinclair

• 2 weeks later...

I like psychology very much :D although it may be one of the harder subjects (some people find it worse than others, depends on the person I think) it is definitely one of the most interesting! I know I would rather do it than any other humanity anyway..

The reason for it being difficult/having low grade boundaries I think is partly to do with the assessments. Not so much the IA, but mainly the exam.. as it is notoriously hard to answer a psychology question correctly - "Outline one key concept of the humanistic perspective and discuss its contribution to the scientific study of behaviour" *sigh* My teacher said a lot of it has to do with analysis, like

Matthew Sinclair said, as you can't just learn the information and expect to go well. You need to be able to analyse the information in different contexts and what the impact would be, if you stick with the syllabus though it's not that bad :D

I recommend it to anyone who might want to do it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love psychology! so much of it is just common sense - last year I had so many problems with it because I didn't understand the concepts but this year we have a new teacher who teaches differently (and although I really loved our old teacher, she was awesome), she simplifies everything and I realize now how much of it is just vocabulary haha.

Plus it's fun because you can apply it to pretty much everything, like Matthew there said. :D

• 4 weeks later...

:) I love my Psychology class! We learn, but our teacher makes it fun :P

There's so much to it! For instance, there are perspectives such as the biological perspective and the cognitive perspective (the cognitive persp. is my favorite right now). You learn about topics such as memory :)