Exams in Year 1 and Exams in Year 2?

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if it's only my school... but to my knowledge, a lot of IB students take the exams in yearly chunks. I don't know many people who take all 6 in a year. So, I was just wondering... what exams did you / are you going to take in Year 1 and then Year 2?

My year 1 exams are French B SL and Economics SL.

My year 2 exams are Math HL, Chem HL, English A1 HL, and Bio SL.

Edited by greaterthaninfinity

Anticipating subjects is not unheard of but it's very common in America (US and Canada) where some schools apparently are under the impression that SL subjects are 1-year courses. They are not, FYI. You don't have to do them in one year. But the IB is a two-year programme for a reason, and quite frankly it's just stupid to cram two year's worth of classes into one. Believe it or not, the majority of IB students do take all 6 subjects in second year :)

greaterthaninfinity - we have the same courses. Interesting.

I anticipated Bio and Econ SL.

Hien - anticipating exams takes a whole lot of stress of students' backs! :) With the way semestered schools are structured, spreading SL courses over 2 years just causes students to forget everything (i.e. French for me).

Our school also takes all the exams in year two. There is one exception though. If you take Social and Anthropology SL, you can take it at the end of year 1. A good thing about this is that Anthro has become an escape hatch for students who wanted to drop out of a course in year 2 (ie/ I dropped physics after year 1, because well...I didn't care for it.)

There is strict bureaucracy around taking this exam in year 1 however. Students must show that they are interested to go into a field related to the sciences, and are planning to take mathematics (which is taught in two of our possible eight course slots) and Chem HL (another two slots), and who want a spare.

I do 6 at a time.

I would much rather do chunks. It would really help, if the students were whipped into shape by the end of preIB-2.

A friend is doing chemistry this year for exams, and its so much easier for her next year. She studies like crazy now, relaxing later along with better marks.

Irene - whoa, we do? :( I'm in Toronto and I've seen you post a lot in the Canadian universities thread; maybe we are in the same school and secretly don't know it, haha. I'm May 2010 though.

And heck yeah, I'm so glad that we can do this. Funny that IB even lets us do this considering their ostensible attempts to make everything as "fair" as possible.

I took all six in my second year. I prefer it this way honestly, because I don't think I'd be capable of reading all of the books necessary for English A1 SL and Spanish A1 SL and doing all of the assignments required in one year. And I definitely don't think I'd be able to prepare myself well for History in one year.

• 3 weeks later...

French B SL in two months for me... I think French is definitely a good course to take for one-year because there's not really a set syllabus. We were, however, continually prompted to do self-study in order to allow us to grow in French. Unlike other classes, work outside of the classroom was probably more vital than what actually happened IN the classroom after the first couple of months.

Two months? I think you're mistaken... May 21 is just SLIGHTLY over a month!! :D

greaterthaninfinity - nope, we're not at the same school as Maths HL has been discontinued here for the 2010 session and onwards. Pity. :D

Hmm... I actually prefer writing French B in the second year. It's only this year I've actually "developed" my speaking and writing, and with the experience from last year's exams, I know what to expect and how to prepare. Still don't feel ready though. Personally, I don't mind rushing the sciences/math, but the languages is something that I think needs to be absorbed over time.