Modern World History by Norman Lowe

stylusdef

Hello.

In History, I am currently working with Paper 2, and more specifically The Rise and Rule of Single-Party States. Our teacher has given us the "European Dictatorships 1918-1945". However, I think this book is awfully boring. It contains TOO many details in my opinion. Therefore, I wonder if I can throw away this book and use Modern World History by Norman Lowe instead? I really like that book, but I'm a bit worried as to whether it is sufficient enough for Paper 2? Is it possible to get a 5 using only Modern World History? Some people have told me so, but I'm still not sure... :)

Hello.

In History, I am currently working with Paper 2, and more specifically The Rise and Rule of Single-Party States. Our teacher has given us the "European Dictatorships 1918-1945". However, I think this book is awfully boring. It contains TOO many details in my opinion. Therefore, I wonder if I can throw away this book and use Modern World History by Norman Lowe instead? I really like that book, but I'm a bit worried as to whether it is sufficient enough for Paper 2? Is it possible to get a 5 using only Modern World History? Some people have told me so, but I'm still not sure... :argh:

In Boden we have a different book, called Single Party States but I doubt it is any better than the one you have, it is so confusing to read that it almost might have just said "and the jibber-jab went snicker-snack"

My advice would be to stick with whatever book your teacher gives you, they tend to know what they are doing...

My advice would be to stick with whatever book your teacher gives you, they tend to know what they are doing...

I don't agree, 2 years ago the old history teacher in our school taught from a book called "The Triumph of the American Nation" for History of the Americas. Most students did poorly that year in their IB history exams, averaging a 4 or a 5. The teacher picked a biased book that was too thick, simple as that.

If you think another book will suit you better, get it. In French, I have one book from which I read articles and reading comprehensions, my classmates have another. I learn grammar better from one than the other. Just because the book suits your teacher doesn't mean that you will learn a lot from it. And some books are out of date. History is best revised from many different sources and then compared and contrasted.

Edited by Vvi

Lowe is good on a general scale, it provides several interpretations of events which is beneficial when writing essays. However, the book doesnt provide with a lot of information for certain areas, so therefore it depends. I would recommend reading Lowe but also going in-depth by using another source that solely concentrates on the topic.