Should I keep my predicted grades at 45 or ask my school to lower them?

Lexellas

Hi everyone,

I currently have a dilemma about my IB predicted grades. I'm planning to apply to Ivies, and some other top unis in the US and my school wants to predict me 45 points. However, I'm terribly scared that I will mess up the final exams, achieve lower than 45 and perhaps getting rejected (getting my acceptances revoked) because I achieved lower than that. I know that it doesn't happen often, but it's still possible for US unis to reject me if I drop significantly. So, should I keep 45 or ask my school to lower it a bit? (I know they'll be fine with it as the counselor already told me so) Also, at the last year's MOCKs, I got 7s from everything and even my ToK teacher and EE coordinator believe I can score As, but I still feel like 45 always depends significantly on luck. (I will also apply to UK unis and I'm afraid that 45 predicted may lead them to give me exceptionally high offers.) What do you think?

Thank you in advance for all the help!

13 hours ago, Lexellas said:

Hi everyone,

I currently have a dilemma about my IB predicted grades. I'm planning to apply to Ivies, and some other top unis in the US and my school wants to predict me 45 points. However, I'm terribly scared that I will mess up the final exams, achieve lower than 45 and perhaps getting rejected (getting my acceptances revoked) because I achieved lower than that. I know that it doesn't happen often, but it's still possible for US unis to reject me if I drop significantly. So, should I keep 45 or ask my school to lower it a bit? (I know they'll be fine with it as the counselor already told me so) Also, at the last year's MOCKs, I got 7s from everything and even my ToK teacher and EE coordinator believe I can score As, but I still feel like 45 always depends significantly on luck. (I will also apply to UK unis and I'm afraid that 45 predicted may lead them to give me exceptionally high offers.) What do you think?

Thank you in advance for all the help!

i would say maybe ask them to lower it just a little, perhaps make it 43 points? but don't worry about not being able to achieve those you know what you're capable of and you've done great in your mocks so keeping your points high will be the best option + usually when people don't do well in their finals - which i am sure will not be the case for u - they could ask for a remarking since their predicted is high and it would make no sense for their grades to drop suddenly so basically what im trying to say is keep your predicted high , good luck with your exams!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, faten said:

i would say maybe ask them to lower it just a little, perhaps make it 43 points? but don't worry about not being able to achieve those you know what you're capable of and you've done great in your mocks so keeping your points high will be the best option + usually when people don't do well in their finals - which i am sure will not be the case for u - they could ask for a remarking since their predicted is high and it would make no sense for their grades to drop suddenly so basically what im trying to say is keep your predicted high , good luck with your exams!

Thank you for your opinion, I just hope the lowering won't hurt my chances of getting into the unis. But you're probably right, it would definitely be safer. Good luck also with your exams, I see that we will both finish IB in May, yay!:)

yes I think lowering your grade is a better option since there will be a slight chance of universities having a negative impression if we achieve lower than the predicted. other things like your college essays, CAS and resume will speak for you there so make sure to cover them up. 

Edited by srinidhi

On 10/22/2021 at 7:48 AM, srinidhi said:

yes I think lowering your grade is a better option since there will be a slight chance of universities having a negative impression if we achieve lower than the predicted. other things like your college essays, CAS and resume will speak for you there so make sure to cover them up. 

Thanks for your opinion, I've asked my school to lower the grades a little bit and they agreed so I'll have 44 predicted. Thanks again and good luck on your exams!