Confusing teachers?!

vintagedream

If you are a History SL student you take 2 exams, HL students take 3.

The essay you're referring to is the historical investigation, which is a research essay on any area of history you want (unless your school specifies what you should do). You come up with your own question and have to analyze evidence for/against it, and come to a conclusion (as well as evaluate sources).

What Vvi said. Also, the Historical Investigation has to be between 1500 and 2000 words, and is worth 25% of the final grade for SL students and 20% for HL students.

You probably won't start working on the HI for quite some time, though, and I'm sure you'll get all the information you need by then! (We started with it in late October in IB2, and had only spent one lesson talking about it before that, so don't worry too much yet.)

• 3 weeks later...

You don't need to worry about exam structure yet. Just try to remember as much as possible of the material you go through. If you intend to get a 6-7, it is advisable to make a little reading schedule - maybe just some 10-20 pages/week more than you really are [i]supposed [/i] to read. That's what I'd done if I was to restart IB now (I'm May...) Continuity helps learning, or at least I feel so.

If the teachers are completely lost, and you think that it will affect IA grades, then go, together with your classmates, to your IB-coord before it's too late. Good luck.

You have the option to take a few of the exams after year one, I would suggest it! It takes a lot off of your shoulders when year 2 comes around and everyone has a bajillion exams to take! Staying organized is key to succeeding. Especially in history! Our teacher has us keep a binder throughout the program that we have everything in, notes, presentation handouts, etc. It's easy access to all the answers later! Tabs, tabs, and more tabs! Get specific, so that you can find what you want in a flash!