HL choice physics or dance HELP!

Lanada
Go to solution Solved by MayaJay,

Hey, I´m currently a DP1 and I´m unsure about my SL and HL choices. I can´t decide whether I want to take physics HL or dance HL. I know that both subjects are really different, but my other subjects are English A HL, Math Analysis SL (I didn´t pass the placement test for the HL class), Self-thaught SL and Economics HL, so I have no other option than to take either dance or physics HL.

I`ve no prior dance experience and am therefor scared to take at as an HL. I personally like dance, however I´m not that passionate about it and currently already struggle with my mixer.

I liked physics a lot at my old school, but my new IB physics teacher just isn´t that good. In the moment my grades are mostly 5s. I probably could do better if I would study more. Neverthless I am scared that physics will be a lot of material in my DP2 year.

I plan to study something Economics related (Marketing for example), so I guess that I don´t really need physics or dance for that.

I would be really thankfull if anybody could share their experience with me and give me some advice.

Hey Lanada,

If your subject combination isn't finalized yet, I would highly suggest taking a look at replacing Dance with Business Management HL as a group 6 alternative. Although most business universities only require a single business related subject for marketing, having Business Management would definitely give you a solid foundation in business, as well as helps your understanding in Econs. If the combination is finalized, I'd go with Physics HL, and hope for the best with your teacher. Both subjects are notoriously difficult to get high marks in, but with Physics, there seems to be more resources online and less subjectivity (if that makes sense).

All the best,

Ari  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aritheprocrastinator said:

Hey Lanada,

If your subject combination isn't finalized yet, I would highly suggest taking a look at replacing Dance with Business Management HL as a group 6 alternative. Although most business universities only require a single business related subject for marketing, having Business Management would definitely give you a solid foundation in business, as well as helps your understanding in Econs. If the combination is finalized, I'd go with Physics HL, and hope for the best with your teacher. Both subjects are notoriously difficult to get high marks in, but with Physics, there seems to be more resources online and less subjectivity (if that makes sense).

All the best,

Ari  

Hey, 

First of all thank you so much for replying! Unfortunatly my school doesn´t offer Business Managment, otherwise I would have taken it. For now I think I´ll go with Physics HL, for exact the reasons that you mentioned. 

Thanks for your help,

Lanada

• Like 1

• Solution

Hi Lanada,

Apart from the reasons mentioned above, I think Physics HL will be the best option for you. Unless you can see yourself pursuing a career in dance in the future, it isn't a very prospective option. However, since you liked physics in your old school and are currently on a level 5, I'd say Physics HL is a safe bet. Also, don't get discouraged by the amount of work entailed with a subject because if any subject is taken at a Higher Level, a lot of work is a given. As long as you devote enough hours and are dedicated, I think you'll be excellent at physics and can easily achieve a 7.

Good luck,

Maya

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lanada said:

Hey, 

First of all thank you so much for replying! Unfortunatly my school doesn´t offer Business Managment, otherwise I would have taken it. For now I think I´ll go with Physics HL, for exact the reasons that you mentioned. 

Thanks for your help,

Lanada

Ah anytime! Best of luck with IB

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MayaJay said:

Hi Lanada,

Apart from the reasons mentioned above, I think Physics HL will be the best option for you. Unless you can see yourself pursuing a career in dance in the future, it isn't a very prospective option. However, since you liked physics in your old school and are currently on a level 5, I'd say Physics HL is a safe bet. Also, don't get discouraged by the amount of work entailed with a subject because if any subject is taken at a Higher Level, a lot of work is a given. As long as you devote enough hours and are dedicated, I think you'll be excellent at physics and can easily achieve a 7.

Good luck,

Maya

Hey Maya,

thank you for your help! You got some really good points and after reading all the comments I decided to go with Physics HL.

Have a nice day,

Lanada

• Like 1